The Hunting Product That Most Impresses You

Big fan off my merino zip off base layer. I hate being cold, but am a grossly sweaty person. It's a game changer to be able to shed the bottom base layer without doing the one booted hop dance in the snow.

I'm curious, have you ever used OnX to compare with Gaia? I've used Gaia for a couple years now and I'm satisfied with it, but OnX gets so much love that I wonder sometimes if it does something that I am missing out on. You don't see a lot of mention of GaiaGPS on here.
OnX gets lots of love on this site because the company is based out of Missoula.
I use both as the price is worth it for the benefits.
One advantage of Gaia is one low price $40 for all the states, while OnX $100 for all 50 states.
I also like Gaia "recent" and "cloudfree" imagery so I can see water levels for boating in interior Alaska.
Both companies have fantastic customer support.
OnX is more oriented to hunters which is why I buy from them.
Gaia has a much bigger customer base so more "bells and whistles" and less expensive.

Ditto on the merino wool base layers, that stuff is great. I mostly have Black Ovis because I got it "on sale" thru camofire.

I also have an inReach and have been very happy with it.

I loved to spike camp, especially when on Sheep hunts in Canada or Ibex hunts in Spain, late in the year.

I wish they had, had, the Snowy Owl Expedition at that time, or even the Murre E X O Sleeping bags made for women . The snowy owl makes a large ( 6'6") which would have been perfect. To late for me but my Granddaughters love them.

Anyway, large, comfortable, warm, well constructed, sleeping bag gets my vote

We think the same, I was gonna post that then I saw you just did 3 minutes ago.

Bow sling. I go back and fourth on it, but when I’m on a stalk and trying to move and glass I can keep my bow on me and not have to set it down or try to glass 1 handed. I did put a more powerful magnet on it because it can get in the way at inopportune times.

Have much does it cut down a rifle blast?
I can second these, I have the safariland ones but they look identical right down to the case, I would bet they are both made by the same company. I've used them both dove hunting and shooting/hunting with deer rifles and it cuts down the blast very well but you can still hear your surroundings when no shots are fired.

Rapala Hawk Fillet Knife

I bought my last one for $4.99. It is flexible enough to really do some detail work, but stiff enough to make a quality boning knife. It takes an edge stupid easy (loses it quickly though) and is sharper than sharp.

I have several much more expensive knives, but have broken down a few elk and several deer with this $5 knife. I carry a replaceable blade Gerber and a small Gerber bone saw for field dressing, but after that its all Rapala Hawk.

I can second these, I have the safariland ones but they look identical right down to the case, I would bet they are both made by the same company. I've used them both dove hunting and shooting/hunting with deer rifles and it cuts down the blast very well but you can still hear your surroundings when no shots are fired.
I actually prefer the Surefire Sonic Defenders. I get mine for $14 on Amazon. They are basically the exact same concept though.

Georgia Boot Co "Eagle Trail Hiker". Toss the paracord laces. Otherwise great. The most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I'm walking the dogs now in -25 and yet to get cold feet but not sweaty either. They stayed waterproof through one very hard season last year. That's pretty much a first for my footwear. The construction inside looks like the back will hold up well. Most hiking boots break down there where foot slides in and out and boot bends. Not a real expensive boot but not dirt cheap either. They make the same model with alloy toe for those that need it.GB00399_LARGE.jpg

OnX gets lots of love on this site because the company is based out of Missoula.
I use both as the price is worth it for the benefits.
One advantage of Gaia is one low price $40 for all the states, while OnX $100 for all 50 states.
I also like Gaia "recent" and "cloudfree" imagery so I can see water levels for boating in interior Alaska.
Both companies have fantastic customer support.
OnX is more oriented to hunters which is why I buy from them.
Gaia has a much bigger customer base so more "bells and whistles" and less expensive.
@fleabagmatt I also have both. Prefer the interface of OnX and I think they keep up with Block Management better here in Montana. However, the big reason I keep Gaia is the Apple Carplay capability. When I blow my stalk but don't quite feel like going home yet, having the land ownership on the center screen is super handy for a little road hunt. If OnX gets Carplay up and running, that will probably spell the end of Gaia for me.

Back