Caribou Gear

The Great Misconception - Montana Elk Hunting Pressure: R vs NR

I'd really like to see the success rate comparison, even if its all lumped into one cow/bull/bow/rifle. I'd be willing to bet success rates have declined for residents (they are hunting longer), while NR has remained similarly flat, due to most all of them being at the mercy of the weather and other factors during their 10 day vacation period which they hunt. It really seems like the perception of pressure is highly contingent upon success.
There appears to be very little correlation with success.
1612482298485.png
Generally NR are getting better while R are flatlining.

There appears to be very little correlation with success.

Generally NR are getting better while R are flatlining.
I'm surprised that the success rate is that high. If you consider the increased days hunted vs success it appears that residents are hunting harder to have equal success = fewer animals or potentially pressure is pushing animals deeper. Like I mentioned success tends to skew the perception, and when you have to work harder, you have to blame it on something. I mean it couldn't possibly be the elk management plans.

I haven't hunted MT in a few years, but I like to keep track of the license plates at the trail heads, mostly just to see how many "local" plates I see. Local plates are far and few between. I mean if we're going to lay the blame on someone, but its easier to blame it on NR. I can only imagine what guys like @antlerradar think about the non-local plates. haha

Sometimes you see those big maps of the US where people stick a pin in there home town. If you put up one of those maps on the Custer you had better have a lot of pins.
Used to be if you saw a 3 plate you were looking at an outsider, Now hunters with 3 plates are almost next door neighbors.
One thing that has changed is far fewer Cheyenne's are hunting the Custer. That should tell you something.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back