The good old days

Found some 25 caliber NBT in my dad’s drawer that were marked $5 for 100. I wish every day I could live that

The good old days...my Grandfather had the perfect saying for the "good old days".

My Grandpa Hettick, circa 1987:

"The only good thing about the "good old days" was my youth, don't let anyone bullshit you otherwise".

The price of those bullets is still pretty sweet though...

Hell during Covid I bought federal blue box steel for $11 a box after rebates. Now prices have almost doubled

Bought some 20 gauge winchester 7.5 game loads for the oldest for dove season the other day.$10.50 per box. I remember buying a case for that when I first started driving.

A brother gave mw a flat of 12ga Win field loads a year or so ago. Problem is I haven't had a 12ga in years. I gave them to a friend. He though it was a pretty good deal. price sticker on the box's was under $3.75!

Two years ago I got critized for buying primers through our gun club for $30/1000 when the local Sportsman's Warehouse was selling them for $24. There was also no limit on how many cases or sleves of 5,000 that you could buy. Now I see them advertized for up to $30/100 and many places will limit you to one case of 1,000.

Right now many of all reloading compenents are also unavailable, and I haven't seen any small pistol primers anywhere.

Had a small town smith do some work for me. It was a relatively inexpensive labor and material item so I told him to add a box of Wby Mag Select 100g TTSX .257 that I noticed on the shelf to the bag. Coughed a little, signed the cc charge, and walked out. The ammo was 95 bucks.

Had a small town smith do some work for me. It was a relatively inexpensive labor and material item so I told him to add a box of Wby Mag Select 100g TTSX .257 that I noticed on the shelf to the bag. Coughed a little, signed the cc charge, and walked out. The ammo was 95 bucks.

Rounded shoulders means premium prices, cowboy.

I'd rather pay the extra to my gun club for components than a box store. My gun club feeds my habitat much better than any store.

I've got some boxes like this from the 70's, 60's & 80's. That bucket of bullets had about a 10-15% failure to fire rate for me. Same with the cheap federals. Cheap is relative, I guess. I still buy the CCI mini mags or stingers instead of the bulk packs. More accurate, more consistent and fewer FTF's. I also shoot like I'm Scrooge these days. one lump of ammo per day, no more, less is preferred.

I'd rather pay the extra to my gun club for components than a box store. My gun club feeds my habitat much better than any store.

I've got some boxes like this from the 70's, 60's & 80's. That bucket of bullets had about a 10-15% failure to fire rate for me. Same with the cheap federals. Cheap is relative, I guess. I still buy the CCI mini mags or stingers instead of the bulk packs. More accurate, more consistent and fewer FTF's. I also shoot like I'm Scrooge these days. one lump of ammo per day, no more, less is preferred.
The first rule of gun club is you don't talk about gun club...

What's a gun club?

When I cleaned out my dad's place a couple of years ago my old Ruger Mkii 678 came back to me. I had bought it 1984 then given it to my dad. $140 NIB in 1984. Along with it were several bulk boxes of Federal and Remington "Golden Bullets". $5.50 for 550 on the Federals, I couldn't find a price tag on the Remington box.

Good old days indeed. One of these bulk boxes was bound to die on a day at the rock pit with a Mkii and a 10/22. I remember going to the GAS STATION or HARDWARE STORE and paying 79¢ for a 100 Mini-Mags.

Gun safe? you rich or something? Or .22 and .30-30 hung right by the front door and the house was never locked.

Both my 678 pistols are jam-o-matics with the Golden Bullet loads. I have two because I couldn't live without the one I gave my dad. ;)
Federal bulk works ok. CCI mini-mags are the best by price. Almost any Eley (when I could get it) would punch dime size holes if I did my part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back