Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

The Fragrance of Grass

Grizzley

Just finished this book The Fragrance of Grass written by Guy de la Valdene. I have mixed emotions. Wondering if anyone has read the book or this author? What are your thoughts about the themes in this book?

I will read it and give you my thoughts as soon as you drop it off at the house!

Grizzley, looked at it at Amazon, where portions of it were viewable. It looks interesting and will add it to my reading list. I am currently reading David Petersens Heartsblood: Hunting, Spirituality and Wildness in America. He also writes in a poetical (prose), philosophical style.

Petersen made a statement that I think is very valid, "There's nothing inherent to the act of hunting that promotes moral erosion or incites blood-lust. Rather than creating personalities and worldviews, hunting merely reflects them, good and bad, as shaped by the overarching human environment." Its kind of like the statement that power doesnt change a person, but rather reveals them.

Guy de la Valdene makes a statement (in the preview) about being saddened by the knowledge that as a man he played a significant role in the humiliation of natures sanctity, wishing he could be a child again. A do over?

I have heard a similar statement made by some hunting relatives, when I went back to Texas in October when my father died. The men, in their 50's related that there are three stages of hunting - the shooting at everything stage, the limiting stage and the nature respect stage. Maybe some of that, for men, is reflective of the diminishing testosterone levels that aging men experience, like women with menopause, that causes them to be more reflective rather than reactive.

kat, that right there is the very reason I don't mount a cyphering reticle...too damn much mulling the situation.;)

99% of everything I know I learned from bumper stickers...in Texas.:D

99% of everything I know I learned from bumper stickers...in Texas.:D

I miss Texas bumper stickers so much. Living in San Antonio and near Austin, I was raised on people wearing their opinions on their vehicles. It was like a literary art form driving through traffic and parking lots. Some I would shake my head at, others laugh my ass off. I was recently grateful the BHA subscription included bumper stickers, which now reside on my suburban rear window and front windshield. Hopefully, someone might look into it and embrace ethical hunting and protecting our wilderness.

I was recently grateful the BHA subscription included bumper stickers, which now reside on my suburban rear window and front windshield. Hopefully, someone might look into it and embrace ethical hunting and protecting our wilderness.

or key your paint job

Shoots-Straight...kind of thought that when I first posted the questions. While reading the book it kept brining me back to posts I have read on this site about men, their dogs, the outdoors, killing, hunting, love of food, camping, spending time with people of like interests, learning from our elders and spending time in the great outdoors of Montana and North Dakota.

What was a little unnerving was the idea of generations past and some present...hunting (killing) animals in the fashion outlined in the book. Now if you want my man card...here it is....In addition, I have started to enjoy much of what this guy talks about later in his life...hiking and watching nature while hunting but not killing. To the such a point that I like to keep my bow tag well into the season (most of the time keeping it till it is too late) just to spend time in the outdoors with the prospect of hunting deer.

I will say it before someone else does...maybe I don't punch my bow tag because I don't have the skills necessary to do it consistently.

Katqanna...the 3 stages of life...I might need to ponder that while I head to GNC to get my testosterone medication refilled!

Haven't read the book. I thought by the title of the thread we were going to be talking about the new aromas wafting from Dinkshooter's state.

or key your paint job

I used to live in Texas. The number one stolen vehicle, at the time were Chevy, Suburbans. Not liking newer more computerized vehicles, I bought an older one and rebuilt engine parts as needed, not worrying about the paint job, to be a low tech theft prevention system. :) Worked well. I never had my older suburban stolen. Bought an older 4 wheel version (same year) up here and switched out all my newer engine and parts I had rebuilt in the other. Someone could key this one and I dont think I would notice, it is a work truck.

But, to be on the safe side, when I went to Lewistown this fall, for the bison working group, having been told the last time they tried to set such a meeting up, the hotel where it was hosted got arson threats and they called the meeting off. Not wanting my 6 ply tires slashed or windows broken, I removed my bison stickers before going up. Chicken sh*t, I know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back