Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Duke

One could assume who was allotted what without the video adding the clip you quoted but they left no doubt. The bolded part is what really baffled me. "Just the ethics".. huh?!
One has to wonder if this is just a typical representation of what goes into the governors tag buying and hunting process.

And if so why are we willing to support it?

Last edited:
One has to wonder if this is just a typical representation of what goes into the governors tag buying and hunting process.

And if so why are we willing to support it?
You bet it is...

Like I said, the level of corruption and greed with these tags is staggering. One of my best friends bought $100 worth of raffle tickets and won the tag some years back.

The first runner up was a fat wallet who bought thousands of dollars worth of tickets.

He got a phone call right away with an offer from the big money guy, asking him to say he couldn't hunt the tag (which would then go to the first runner up). My buddy told him he wasn't interested.

Next day gets another offer, my friend told him to pound sand as the reason he applied for the tag was to get a chance to hunt a sheep in unit 11...

These guys are relentless in their greed...and that includes what Sayer tried to do with increasing more governors tags in Idaho. To the level of ousting commissioners and directors to get his way.

For them to claim its all about conservation, is all BS...its about the 1% hunting sheep, where they want, when they want.

You bet it is...

Like I said, the level of corruption and greed with these tags is staggering. One of my best friends bought $100 worth of raffle tickets and won the tag some years back.

The first runner up was a fat wallet who bought thousands of dollars worth of tickets.

He got a phone call right away with an offer from the big money guy, asking him to say he couldn't hunt the tag (which would then go to the first runner up). My buddy told him he wasn't interested.

Next day gets another offer, my friend told him to pound sand as the reason he applied for the tag was to get a chance to hunt a sheep in unit 11...

These guys are relentless in their greed...and that includes what Sayer tried to do with increasing more governors tags in Idaho. To the level of ousting commissioners and directors to get his way.

For them to claim its all about conservation, is all BS...its about the 1% hunting sheep, where they want, when they want.
Buzz, I understand maybe you can’t mix work with personal opinions but what do you think there’s any support on the BHA side of things to push to limit governors tags and so on?

Buzz, I understand maybe you can’t mix work with personal opinions but what do you think there’s any support on the BHA side of things to push to limit governors tags and so on?
Sounds like poison for BHA IMO especially if going after a single tag per species state like ID.

BHA is/was lukewarm at best on taking any kind of a stand against a New Mexico system that funnels hundreds/thousands of tags to private sales.
A friend of mine and life member of BHA is very engaged in trying to undo some of the NM craziness. He’s been laughed at by Ryan Busse and the board for bringing up the issue of privatization of wildlife being linked to the privatization of public lands at Rendezvous
Schemes like that and the SFW Utah tag grab are far more egregious than a single governor tag per species per state. States like Wyoming that offer multiple commissioner auction tags would also be a good thing to whittle away at and get back down to one tag.

I’ve worked in several conservation projects in AZ in the last year funded by the auction tag. I’d like them to keep it but I’d raise hell if they tried to make more of them too.

Last edited:
^^I agree, big difference between wholesale tag giveaways like NM and a small number of Governor's tags.

I would just caution that even Governors tags can go sideways in a hurry. From past experience, if you work on a process to keep things on the level with Gov. tags, make sure you do it via State Statute...don't fall into the MOU route. You'll get burned.

So how was it decided whose ram was whose? The draw tag holder should have been legally able to shoot whichever one he wanted! Of course, I am sure there was some dealing going on. $$$ in exchange for favors. Be interesting to talk with that guy!

So how was it decided whose ram was whose? The draw tag holder should have been legally able to shoot whichever one he wanted! Of course, I am sure there was some dealing going on. $$$ in exchange for favors. Be interesting to talk with that guy!
That's why he was probably invited into the camp. Easier to influence someone who is in your camp and "on your side" of any possible decision that is made on who gets what ram.

I'm sure the lawyers made him sign an NDA...and I would be shocked if money didn't change hands.

I'm sure the lawyers made him sign an NDA...and I would be shocked if money didn't change hands.
If money didnt change hands, then I cant imagine anyone signing an NDA. How much money would it take to relegate yourself to the 2nd best ram? I imagine that is a different number for each of us.

If money didnt change hands, then I cant imagine anyone signing an NDA. How much money would it take to relegate yourself to the 2nd best ram? I imagine that is a different number for each of us.
If it paid for the outfitter fee, and still resulted in 180 inch ram, I bet it would be tempting. Not the kind of sheep hunt I'd like to go on though.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back