The cold 🥶 is coming

I thought people in Montana were tough. Jesus, it gets below zero for a couple days a year and you all run around like your hair is on fire. You'll be in a t-shirt by this time next week.

You will survive (even though you don't think you will) and you don't need to post it on SM to let the world know it got a little cold for a couple days.

What's the status up there? Round the clock dark?
Yes, its dark, cold and snowy. Don't come up!

We're gaining 4-5 min a day right now, and in a few more weeks it will be up to 6-7min/day. Although the sun doesn't come up until about 10am right now and gone by 4, the darkness comes and goes fast in the winter. By the end of Feb, sun up will be 8am, and it will get dark around 7pm. End of march it will be light out until nearly 10pm. Really not a lot different than MT, IMO. That said January and February feel like they are about 60 days long each.

Most have a hard time with being away from their family and leave after a few years. That seems to be what really keeps the population down. The only people I ever hear talk about the winter and leaving are retirees that are tired of shoveling snow for 5 months a year. My snow blower gets 2x the use of my lawnmower. :D

We're gaining 4-5 min a day right now, and in a few more weeks it will be up to 6-7min/day. Although the sun doesn't come up until about 10am right now and gone by 4, the darkness comes and goes fast in the winter. By the end of Feb, sun up will be 8am, and it will get dark around 7pm. End of march it will be light out until nearly 10pm. Really not a lot different than MT, IMO. That said January and February feel like they are about 60 days long each.

Most have a hard time with being away from their family and leave after a few years. That seems to be what really keeps the population down. The only people I ever hear talk about the winter and leaving are retirees that are tired of shoveling snow for 5 months a year. My snow blower gets 2x the use of my lawnmower. :D
No worries, can't convince my wife.😉
Cold snaps don't last as long down here.
In the early years we would work at -20, then it was -10. Getting soft after many years of toughing it out. A few cold snaps are a break in routine. Okay by me.

Funny, the other day I told my wife that we should move up to Alaska. She said “we weren’t moving up anywhere. If we move, it will be down.”

The darkness is what I would worry about, but I think it would be better than the damn wind here.

Funny, the other day I told my wife that we should move up to Alaska. She said “we weren’t moving up anywhere. If we move, it will be down.”

The darkness is what I would worry about, but I think it would be better than the damn wind here.
The darkness is strange up there. "Twilight" at 10AM looks weird driving in the snow. Same in summer when it's daylight at 11 at night!

Northern tier of the US is just about right for seasonal day length, 8-9 hours in the winter and twice that in the summer. Kind of opened my eyes talking to my step son a few years ago when he was stationed in Hawaii, middle of summer and it was dark at 7. Don't know if I want to experience Alaska winter.

Supposed to be close to -20 tonight, but by mid week will be back to normal. Biggest thing to try to get used to, is it has been such a mild winter so far and then BAM!

I remember as a kid growing up in AK , didn’t mind the darker hours in the winter , loved the extra daylight in the summer

The wind has probably blown more at your house this week than it did all last year at mine. I do not miss the wind.

-20 with a 20mph wind is a drag.
It will remove all the snow from my property but create a 5' drift between the house and shop.🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back