The "classics"

.30-30
7x57
.30-06
.35 Whelen
.348 Winchester

I know the .348 is the odd man out, but Grandad talked about its merits when he had one up in Alaska for many years. I was able to pick one up several years ago for a reasonable price and I’m amazed at its accuracy. Only used it on one whitetail hunt, but I have no doubt it would serve me well on larger critters. I was even able to score some old Speer 220 grain bullets a few years back.

With winter setting in (close to -30 Celsius here last night), time for hunting campfire discussions ...

I'm curious what would make a "Top Five Classic Cartridges" list - emphasis on longevity/history/North American big game.

1) 257 Roberts - plenty of history here
2) 270 Winchester - still perhaps the mountain rifle standard
3) 30-06 - the original
4) 300 H&H - the epitome of cool for me, although admittedly close to 30-06
5) 30-30 - the classic big woods deer cartridge
I got it guys, I got it.

Given the parameters of North American big game (ie, eliminates 22LR, the 9.3x62, the 8mm — I’m looking at you @Ben Lamb ), I would propose the following:
1) 270 - O’Connor+ I mean, amazing mountain cartridge and let’s be honest, it set the scenes for the greatest cartridge ever, the Creedmoor 🥷
2) 30-30 - greatest woods gun ever
3) 30-06 - greatest cartridge ever, full stop
4) 45-70 - so much history
5) In my mind, the above are no brainers. #5 is tougher. Imma go back and forth but land at the 338 Winchester. It reeks of Elmer Keith (333 OKH, anyone?), and while the 375 is great for Africa and often the legal minimal
Cartridge there, the 338 can out-penetrate it and is more popular / can handle anything in North America. God bless us and good night.

Last edited:
Sir, --opinions will vary and I am sure people like HappyMyles and Buffybr, as well as others will disagree, but for me: Giraffe, Buffalo, Cape Eland, Kudu, Roan, Hippo and only because it is a legal requirement --Lion and Leopard . Lion is a good hunt, but the 300 H & H is enough gun IMHO. The leopard is a boring hunt ( (unless you wound it )-: ) and the 300 H & H is definitely enough gun. The hippo was hunted on land and those suckers can get your attention, quick, so back to the 375 H & H. The only animals I hunted with the 450/400 was Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino, and Lion . I was willing to take the punishment for the piece of mind knowing that 2nd shot did not depend on my ability with a bolt gun, especially when the animal in question had taken exception to my shooting him.

Your second question. My absolute favorite was the 300 H & H. It did not beat me up, and imho it was "enough gun" for 90% of everything I wanted to do. In Africa, my second choice would be the 375 H & H, but outside Africa I still preferred the 300 H & H to all others but a close second was the Swede.

To put a finer point on your 1st question. It ( 375 ) took away some of the fun --- before the hunt and after the hunt. NOT, during the hunt, but preparing for the hunt and the ice on the shoulder and margaritas, after the hunt can create a different set of problems .

Please let me know if I didn't answer your question, to your satisfaction sir and I will pm you, as I do to want to derail this thread
That's interesting. makes it pretty clear that a classic might depend a lot on what and where your hunting! My own idea, being I only hunt the U.S., might be the 6.5x55 but with a 156gr bullet! Do European cartridges count?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back