The boy wants to go after a Wyoming antelope with no points

JPetray

My son just graduated and wants to go after an antelope. This would be a 1 time deal for us because we love chasing whitetails & elk. This would have to be a DIY style hunt. Could anyone give me a couple ideas on units to look at with no points? Were not looking for a trophy. Just a good time. đź‘Ť

You don’t have gohunt do you? I’m assuming you all want buck tags? Non-resident? Weapon choice?

You don’t have gohunt do you? I’m assuming you all want buck tags? Non-resident? Weapon choice?
No sir I don’t Have that app. I’d prefer a buck tag for him. That’s a long trip from Arkansas. Lol. We would be interested in rifle.

Sent you a pm, get buck tags for both of you and some doe tags if the unit will allow it. If your not picky and do a little bit of hiking (Don’t park and try to shoot after you get off the road) you should be able to fill all your tags in two days without a problem. I’m taking my dad up for his first hunt ever this year and my brother for his first antelope hunt.

Sent you a pm, get buck tags for both of you and some doe tags if the unit will allow it. If your not picky and do a little bit of hiking (Don’t park and try to shoot after you get off the road) you should be able to fill all your tags in two days without a problem. I’m taking my dad up for his first hunt ever this year and my brother for his first antelope hunt.
+1
BB.jpg

Last year my wife, a buddy and I on second choice in the draw got a buck tag for a unit east of buffalo. In 4 days and a few miles hiking each day, we filled two buck tags. My wife wouldn't settle on a doe and we passed up multiple shots at does. We also had two other chances at bucks in gun range.

Basically what I'm trying to say is it can be done and it's not that difficult if you actually leave the truck...

Paying for the “special” tag will open up a lot more options for you.

Paying for the “special” tag will open up a lot more options for you.
while true, I just don't see it worth the extra cost with zero points. the extra units that open up aren't a drastic step up in my opinion. Now, if you have 1-3 points, the trophy quality and amount of public land that opens up in the special draw is another story.

It's not just about "opening up" other units. It's about being able to "guarantee" yourself a tag. If the OP can find a unit that he likes that has 100% draw odds based on last year's draw on a normal license, then I agree he should just do that. But most of the units that even have hard access are not 100% guaranteed draws on the normal license.

Bottom line, OP, look at last year's draw odds for the non resident random, circle all the units you could have gotten (ie units where there are more tags than first choice applicants), and see if any of those look good to you on the map in terms of access. If they do, you're done--apply for that unit. If not, look at the special random draw and go through the same exercise.

Go Hunt is NOT needed for this. Wyoming's draw odds page is good and accurate and with a little time, you can get all you need without paying any fees.

It's about being able to "guarantee" yourself a tag.
You need to look yourself because there are tags you can draw with a 2nd or even 3rd choice with zero points and be 100%. Not going to complete the work for everyone but here is my research I did on every Wyoming Unit before I applied last year. Lots of units to pick from with zero points. Lots of units to pick from with zero points and be 100% success at the 2nd choice. Lots of units to pick from with zero points and be 100% success at 3rd choice!

1589982970299.png

I did forget to bring up a big point though...point creep is a big deal with Wyoming lope even at the low PP units....you can see that it won't be long and my statement above will no longer be true.

And lots of those very limited access (and as a result, are overrun with orange). Again, the "guarantee" part is only half of the equation. My point is (and was), the OP needs to do that work you just did above (and that most of us on here, including me, have done for several years), then decide whether access in any of those "100% units" is acceptable to him. If not, he needs to do the same exercise looking at the odds for the "special" draw. Chances are, he'll settle on one of the WELL KNOWN units to this forum that have (or should have) 100% draw odds for a normal tag and more hunters than antelope on opening weekend.

thats why you don't go on opening weekend :p We went and hunted Tues-Thur with actually a terrible snow storm and saw yes, some hunters but its wasn't terrible. We actually found a nice little public spot (wasn't a big tract of public access) and had it all to ourselves. The road getting into it however was the worst road I've ever been on out west, especially with the snow we had. Was nail-biting at times!

Most of those limited public access units can provide a great hunt with today's technology that's out there. I've done it twice and probably am headed out this year again since I've struck out on everything else. We took nice bucks on both hunts before lunch time on our 1st day out. It's as simple as doing your homework and finding access and burning boot leather.

Gohunt would be worth the fee. Your questions will be answered in less time, and you can discern whether the cost for the special tag is worth it.

Welcome to HT. It is doable. Research is key. The Wyoming Hunt Planner website and previous years draw results (listed on the WYO website) should point you in the right direction. There are youtube videos everywhere talking about "the draw" process and what are good expectations. With a little research, you can find a diamond in the rough.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back