Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

The Ball and Testosterone remover (The man bun gun)

Those new bullets make a larger caliber pretty effective also. I get a kick, pun intended, out of the evolution of elk cartridges gravitating to the smaller and smaller headstamps. mtmuley
I get a kick out of shooting my hunting rifles a lot, thus my interest on smaller cartridges.

If I can shoot them with a bullet that kills well, why not?

I realize we are not going to change each other's mind, and I'm not trying to do that. My buddy shoots a 300 WM, and there's a lot of this same kind of back and forth. We get along.

I'm going to go build some arrows here in a bit. Speaking of marginal projectiles........ :D

Last edited:
Because the .25 calibers have always historically been a great round. .257 Weatherby mag is lazer beam. Thousands and thousands of deer have fell to a .257 Robert’s. 6.5 are even better. I have a 6.5-300 Weatherby going deer hunting with me. Last year it went elk hunting. I watched deer every year get shot in the head by my dad with .22. Never lost one. I like .30 more than anyone. Taking my man making .30 Nosler elk hunting this year. My grandmother shot all her elk with a .243. Don’t get me started on the .28 Nosler, 270 WSM, 7mm. I have them all and they will kill anything on this planet.

Put a good bullet in the right spot and caliber is almost a no argument.

Given some of the embarrassing stuff those of my generation post on various forums, I'm sad to say I'm a baby-boomer. But I hope to actually know a little bit about history, and have some common sense coupled with an open mind and eyes. Thumbing through my old copy of Charles Sheldon's "The Wilderness of Denali," I note he killed a mountain of game, including many grizzlies, with his 6.5x54 Mannlicher Shoenauer. Now I don't claim to be particularly bright, but I believe the 6.5CM loaded with today's fine bullets might be at least the equal of the Mannlicher Sheldon carried circa 1906-1908? I'd also note this was a couple decades before the fine 270 Winchester appeared (the darling of my generation).

Anyway, this ancient boomer will be packing a 6.5CM this fall elk hunting... I doubt very much Sheldon had bullets as reliable as the 130 Nosler Accubonds my rifle will be loaded with.

IMG_4625.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread isn't even worth a response. Maybe it should have just been a post in the "Weekend Libations" page.
"I'll never understand why anyone would want to drink anything less than 90 Proof. All you wussies with your IPAs and wine."

Better yet. the moderators should require a breathalyzer to unlock your keyboard.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back