Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The Ball and Testosterone remover (The man bun gun)

I could kill an elk with a .22 centerfire if I felt like it. Don't see any reason to. When I head into the hills to kill a bull I like to have a rifle that will perform with any shot I am presented. Don't like frangible bullets either. Everybody has their way of doing it. mtmuley
I use to pack rifles and bullets that will perform from any shot I was presented with until I realized I still passed on shots that weren’t broadside, quartering, or face on. After I kinda paid attention to the shots I was willing to take my bullet and cartridge choices changed. That’s what’s great now days is there’s so many choices

View attachment 292815
I've never understood why some people get upset about what someone else buys. I'll probably never buy a 6.8 Western, but I like seeing new cartridges. My current project is a 270 Creedmoor. I like my 270 WIN, I'm just looking to improve it a bit. ;)
For me it's purely a cost vs benefit thing. I can't afford to switch to the new "better" cartridges. And they don't do anything any better than what I shoot now anyway. mtmuley

For me it's purely a cost vs benefit thing. I can't afford to switch to the new "better" cartridges. And they don't do anything any better than what I shoot now anyway. mtmuley
I've primarily deer hunted with the 30-06 that my grampa gave me when I first started hunting at 12. Last year I used my dad's .308 I inherited for my first season without him. I'll probably use that for most of the rest of my rifle hunting seasons. It's like part of him is still with me in the woods, and that's hard to pass up

I am considering a 6.5CM or similar for my kids who are still a few years from needing one.

Why. Why on earth would anyone want a projectile, from a gun to hunt lower 48 game, to become smaller and possibly less than perfect shot placement cartridge? We have the 30’06 and .308 parent case cartriges, and they + derivatives over .277 caliber deliver devastating results when placed in close proximity to vital organs. So why would any reasonable person go below a .277? That .277 is already on the edge of an expert shooting at the largest North American game. Why exactly do we have people out here throwing even smaller pills, such as the 6.5 MANBUN. This is like 264Win all over again but less. You manbun 6.5 guys are hilarious. So what I want to know is why we have steers out there. Asking for a friend, and tell me why my friend is wrong. 😁
I won't tell anyone ......

We never hear about the ones that are shot and lost or the complete cluster phuck shootout that happens with big or small calibers.

IMO, we owe it to the animals we hunt to kill them as fast as possible, either by perfect placement or power. I've seen some rodeos with both big and small calibers and been a contestant a time or two. I tend to gravitate to shooting the biggest caliber I can effectively. I wouldn't pick a 260/CM over a 300 or 7mag to go elk hunting. I've seen far more rodeos with smaller calibers than bigger ones, YMMV.

@brockel I've seen some impressive rodeos with 60gr sierras and a 22-250 on deer and antelope, and have seen many, many one shot bang flops. Far more rodeos with 22 cals than any other, by far. I know for certain I won't ever use one on big game again, I have zero personal reason to do so.

I believe is was Robert Ruark who said, "You can't kill something too dead." in reference to using a large rifle to shoot something when a "smaller" one would work. I've never once shot something with a bigger caliber and thought, boy I wish I would have used a smaller one.

People need to shoot what they want, but this is really not a simple big or small caliber debate. There is a selection of bullets that make smaller cartridges extremely effective, outside of that I wouldn't touch them either.

I don't know of a single soul who's seen the damage from a 130 TMK that hits above 2000 fps that thinks it isn't sufficient.

People need to shoot what they want, but this is really not a simple big or small caliber debate. There is a selection of bullets that make smaller cartridges extremely effective, outside of that I wouldn't touch them either.

I don't know of a single soul who's seen the damage from a 130 TMK that hits above 2000 fps that thinks it isn't sufficient.
Those new bullets make a larger caliber pretty effective also. I get a kick, pun intended, out of the evolution of elk cartridges gravitating to the smaller and smaller headstamps. mtmuley

Why. Why on earth would anyone want a projectile, from a gun to hunt lower 48 game, to become smaller and possibly less than perfect shot placement cartridge? We have the 30’06 and .308 parent case cartriges, and they + derivatives over .277 caliber deliver devastating results when placed in close proximity to vital organs. So why would any reasonable person go below a .277? That .277 is already on the edge of an expert shooting at the largest North American game. Why exactly do we have people out here throwing even smaller pills, such as the 6.5 MANBUN. This is like 264Win all over again but less. You manbun 6.5 guys are hilarious. So what I want to know is why we have steers out there. Asking for a friend, and tell me why my friend is wrong. 😁
Seems like you spend a lot of time thinking about other men's hair and balls.

I don't think there is an elk that would know the differences if a 6.5CM 140gr or a 7-08 140gr or a 308 150gr or 165gr or 180gr hit them in the vitals all with the same type bullet. IMO I think it pretty foolish to think that power trumps placement. I am not referring to brain shots either in this post.

Back