The 10 Most Accurate Factory Hunting Rifles...

Field & Stream released an article i found interesting especially considering the various "hunting rifles" discussed here... While some present a tactical design a few others maintain the customary hunting rifle stocks.
Field & Stream have been pretty sound in past article I've read though this one has me scratching my head.
To place an article of this magnitude, I would have hoped for a detailed spreadsheet that covered the top 20 hunting rifle manufacturer's most, "big game" coveted hunting rifle, caliber, the best factory load, and grouping/range.
I find it odd though w/o direct experience as I don't have the $$$ to purchase / use top rifles... Though to not see top names such as, Weatherby, Howa, etc or shared in a spreadsheet with the stats to show how they ranked, makes this review a tough pill to swallow.
With that said, Mauser peaked my interest for the literal, bang for the buck...

Not a lefty in the bunch so of NO INTEREST to me. I'm not gonna bother looking up each one to see if it's offered in LH.

We should do best 10 lists for HT.

Best 10 post-hunt footwear (hint, all 10 are crocs)

Best 10 "I Drew a premium tag, now give me your hot spot" threads

Best 10 Randyisms

Best 10 DQ treats

etc.

Isn't @Big Fin talking about rolling out some merch in a recent video? We need to get him the list for T-Shirts and Hats.

We should do best 10 lists for HT.

Best 10 post-hunt footwear (hint, all 10 are crocs)

Best 10 "I Drew a premium tag, now give me your hot spot" threads

Best 10 Randyisms

Best 10 DQ treats

etc.

lol

Last edited:
They seem have their understanding of the competition precision rifles and hunting all mixed up. Other than the Mauser not one of them is a dedicated hunting rifle. Neither are these the top precision rifles.

Where are the Tikka T3xs (under $1k), Barret Fieldcraft, Christensen Traverse, Proof Research Elevation (both of these $2k-$3k), the Remington 700s, Wichester 70s, Weatherbys?

Seems like a hotch potch article for marketing purposes/paid promotions.

The only thing that averaged under .5 MOA was the Anschutz. My bet is that the ammo wasn’t good enough to actually test the rifle’s accuracy. A well fed Sako or Tika will outshoot all the centerfire results. Most of those guns might too with better ammo. There’s no point in paying a premium for an accurate gun and then feeding it crap.

I never even heard of some of those thing's. I have 2 243's that with the right handloads keep shots inside 1/2" if I do my part. One is a 700 ADL that came with a plastic stock that I changed to wood, pretty inexpensive! The other came with a plastic stock and I've done no work to it other than changing out the stock for a wood one. As it came with the plastic stock it cost me $299! It's a Mossberg Patriot! In that article they seem to cater only to more custom and expensive rifles. I think even the one Savage was over $1100! So they did a stupid test that means nothing to the overwhelming majority of us with rifle's I'd bet a lot of os never heard of and could not afford in the first place! Great article! :-(

Cut to the chase and go with the 10 best , most asked what is the best multiple times ever year topics.

#finswastedsearchfunction

I’ll give it a shot.

1. Best place to kill deer in SE Montana
2. Best cartridge for elk
3. Best tires
4. Best chains
5. Best America
6. Best way to come on with a first time post and ask for best spots but not honey holes
7. Best binoculars for $30-$30,000
8. Best freeways to pull off on and start hunting
9. Best gun/pepper spray/pepper gun/spray gun (combo?) for battling griz
10. Best way to piss off Big Fin and get your ass banned

Tis the trute VGuy, gearhead rags have been 'hired guns' for quite a while....but I still read em at the barber or car wash.

I’m sure they are all very accurate. I know the article wasnt the ten most popular hunting rifles but I doubt I will see
Anyone using any of those at deer camp this year.

My impression of their "best 10" and "3 things" lists is that they are clever sponsored advertisements more than sincere attempts at real ratings. My guess is these are the ten guns manufactures paid them to rank in this list.
This. I don't give much credence to them myself. If your selling something or helping to sell something its an ad. Nothing wrong with an ad but see it for what it is.

My impression of their "best 10" and "3 things" lists is that they are clever sponsored advertisements more than sincere attempts at real ratings. My guess is these are the ten guns manufactures paid them to rank in this list.

Nice observation!

I'd add... And they threw one stand alone Savage in the lot in an attempt to legitimize the article. :)

Always enjoyed F&S articles for fishing / hunting techniques. Seems that's all the magazines are good for now. The rest is cannon fodder

Unfortunately, seems even magazine reviews yester-year of products are no longer what they used to be... Hence the opening post, "head scratcher" over <in quotes> hunting rifles. It's unfortunate. Akin to CNN, or MSNBC's Maddow slanted the bias / subjective afflictions of the journo's perspective.

As for the #search, blah, blah, blah... There will always be new... blah, blah, blah and new reviews. Welcome 2020, soon to have it's next slew, "Best of"...

Car & Driver used to be critical of the vehicles tested... It's a royal disappointment. Seems the advertising revenue now swallows the editors / journo's of today.

I quit subscribing to most magazines for that reason. It is some bs artists opinion and testing. I laugh at most of the groups that they post, with both factory and hand-loaded ammo. I have never had a rifle that was not closer to 1/2-moa, than moa. My Ruger American .308 shoots that well, and with my eyes, I can rarely shoot that well anymore. You do not have to spend tons of money to have an accurate rifle. Those outdoor rags seem to try to force people toward the expensive stuff all the time. I doubt that there are very many expensive rifles that will out-shoot my re-barreled Remingtons and Savages, nor the three factory rifles that I still have.

The sad part, is that there are people that take that stuff to heart.

Field and Stream was a great magazine with many solid writers, and that wasn't really that long ago. I haven't read the magazine in a few years now. I do follow Joe Cermele's Hook Shots fishing stuff. I wonder if Bill Heavy still writes for them?

As for the article, none but the Mauser look like something I would hunt with

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back