Yeti GOBOX Collection

Thank a Vegetarian

JTHOMP

I usually only share my public land experiences on this forum but this one was too interesting not to share. I’m still scratching my head how it all played out...

Got everything prepped to make a gumbo tonight for lunch tomorrow and decided to make a short squirrel hunt at a WMA near the house. It’s only 153 acres. I pulled up to the parking area and there were 2 trucks parked assumingely they were bow hunting. So I decided to go back to the house and hunt a small patch of the neighbors place.

When driving out I saw a pig near the road on a power line right of way. Put my truck in reverse, stop, pull out my phone and take a picture expecting him to run off...he doesn’t. The landowner’s house isn’t far and I see him in his shop. So I walk over to him. Still looking at the pig as we were talking.

Me: Man there’s a pig rooting on your powerline you should go kill it.
Landowner: I’m a vegetarian but you can kill it.
Me: You sure it’s not somebody’s pig?
Landowner: Lady up the road had some but she got rid of them.
Me: You sure I can kill it?
Landowner: Yea hurry up before it gets away.

Get my .17 from the truck and shortly after had a pig on the ground. He told me to back my truck up to it and then helped me load it. I asked if he wanted some meat and he said both he and his wife were vegetarians. We talked some then I thanked him again before leaving.

This pig definitely has a lot of domestic blood but has cutters and a razor back. Which just goes to show the problem we have with people intentionally or unintentionally releasing pigs and allowing feral populations to boom. At least with this one gone it’s a few more acorns for the deer and with the amount of fat it’ll make a good mix for deer sausage. And my niece was happy to see food delivered. The pig is butchered and put up in the fridge. Now it’s time to get back to business and stir a roux.
B4CD9B5B-2A65-4352-9D6F-A2F03DA5E0E8.jpeg

0BECADE4-281B-425E-B25B-A4EBD6EE1EEF.jpeg

Last edited:
I have/had " moved away" a buddy that was a vegetarian. He would always ask me if I shot anything over the weekend.
I asked him why he was a vegetarian, he said he become one for the wrong reasons, but liked it and has continued to do it.
I personally enjoy people who have a different view point that me.

Crazy. You just never know who you're going to run into out there. My dad always said, "It takes all kinds of folks to make the world go 'round" and "If we were all the same, life would be pretty boring."

Nice pig!

My wife is vegan, but very much likes to hunt. She doesn't care at all about trophy score and doesn't want the meat for herself but really enjoys the "thrill of the hunt".

She simply believes it is healthier to eat a plant based diet and he says she feels better doing it. She doesn't push it on me or our sons but would like it if we ate less meat and more veggies.

Interesting to hear the vegetarian and vegan wives. My girlfriend was mostly vegetarian when we met but ate local seafood. It’s more so the industrial ag processes doesn’t like. When I killed my rooster couple weeks ago she gave me the stink eye for buying sausage to go in it. Now with me hunting she eats meat, but doesn’t care to eat a lot of it at one time.
How's that .17 for pigs?!

A broadside shot in the ear will drop them. Not a preferred choice of shot or caliber but it’ll get the job done during small game seasons on public land.

My wife’s a vegetarian but loves tales of the hunt and has no qualms with me filling the freezer. I cook some pretty badass meals. Still trying to flip her but 18 years and we are still stalemated.
We have a friend who is vegetarian but she does like to eat the elk Italian sausage and spicy elk salami when we have parties. I may convert her yet.

The .17 hmr is an awesome little round, I had a stain less Savage 93 that I traded a few years back and I always kick myself for doing that. I need to get myself another one

I've been seriously thinking about going vegetarian, unless I harvested the animal. Being that I'm now a public land hunter, I see a lot of potential tofu in my future.

I've given it a test run for the last two weeks, although I did kinda cheat last week by having a guy throw out some pheasants to shoot at. They sure were tasty.

We have a friend who is vegetarian but she does like to eat the elk Italian sausage and spicy elk salami when we have parties. I may convert her yet.

At least the landowner had sense to know the pig needed killing. And nice of him to offer it to you and help load it. Win.
Yes some landowners can be reasoned with, one near by house with acres of land do call my to hunt there, he has yotes coming near his house so its best someone else him and we are both happy.

I've been seriously thinking about going vegetarian, unless I harvested the animal. Being that I'm now a public land hunter, I see a lot of potential tofu in my future.

I've given it a test run for the last two weeks, although I did kinda cheat last week by having a guy throw out some pheasants to shoot at. They sure were tasty.

I like the idea of vegetarian unless I kill it or know where it came from. It’s fairly easy to practice at home, especially when we have killed so many pigs the past few months. But outside of the house it is very difficult.

Looks like a Pot bellied pig x

Yea I’d say an F1 between a pot belly and feral. There was even a surprisingly noticeable difference in the bone structure of legs compared to wild pigs.

Back