Texas exotics

nd muley

Can anybody suggest a good outfitter for low fence hunting. Looking for January 2023 for 3 to 6 guys. We've already taken blackbuck and scimator oryx.

I met a guy during an outfitted hunt who used these guys multiple times and was extremely happy with them. They offer both high fence and free range hunts.

My buddy has around 5000 acres in High Fence south of Fort Stockton. Nice lodging, great guy that treats you like family. Axis, Red Stag, Fallow, Oryx Holding off on the blackbuck as the ranch took a huge hit during the freeze and killed a large portion. if you are looking for great mule deer and whitetail hunting, he has some excellent trophy deer.

My buddy has around 5000 acres in High Fence south of Fort Stockton. Nice lodging, great guy that treats you like family. Axis, Red Stag, Fallow, Oryx Holding off on the blackbuck as the ranch took a huge hit during the freeze and killed a large portion. if you are looking for great mule deer and whitetail hunting, he has some excellent trophy deer.
Could you send me his info. Thanks

You might want to consider South Africa. I see some great deals there now. One outfitter advertising $16,700 for seven animals all inclusive (except air fare): cape buffalo, kudu, waterbuck, zebra, warthog, baboon, and impala. Buffalo alone is usually around twelve grand. Kudu $1200-1500, waterbuck upwards of $2000, zebra $1000-1500. I've seen even better deals recently. Shop around and pay close attention to testimonials. And there's always lots of management hunting available. For daily PH fee you can cull as many animals as needed. I have hunted with guys who shot dozens of springbuck ... per day! Getting my animal skulls processed was a hundred bucks apiece except buffalo which was $250. Shipping the stuff can be a bit pricey. There's usually direct flights out of Atlanta to Johannesburg. I'm thinking of going that route this year rather than dealing with layovers in Europe. Not impossible to get your guns over there but a bit of a hassle. Outfitter can help with that. Something to think about.

Went from low fence to high fence pretty quick....Which of course is your prerogative
I would prefer low fence. But after last year going after blackbuck and oryx in low fence, I honestly don't think it matters for most exotics. Just trying to have a little fun in January besides ice fishing.

High West Outfitters might be another one to look into. They’re out in west Texas close to Alpine.

I would prefer low fence. But after last year going after blackbuck and oryx in low fence, I honestly don't think it matters for most exotics. Just trying to have a little fun in January besides ice fishing.
With the size of his high fence, you definitely aren't going to think you are in a high fence area. It's huge and hard to hunt with canyons and draws, lots of cover for those animals.

Nilgai on the King Ranch are available that time of year. Or aoudad in West Texas. I would have suggested axis deer, but January isn't the best time for them. You'd be better off waiting until May.

You might want to consider South Africa. I see some great deals there now. One outfitter advertising $16,700 for seven animals all inclusive (except air fare): cape buffalo, kudu, waterbuck, zebra, warthog, baboon, and impala. Buffalo alone is usually around twelve grand. Kudu $1200-1500, waterbuck upwards of $2000, zebra $1000-1500. I've seen even better deals recently. Shop around and pay close attention to testimonials. And there's always lots of management hunting available. For daily PH fee you can cull as many animals as needed. I have hunted with guys who shot dozens of springbuck ... per day! Getting my animal skulls processed was a hundred bucks apiece except buffalo which was $250. Shipping the stuff can be a bit pricey. There's usually direct flights out of Atlanta to Johannesburg. I'm thinking of going that route this year rather than dealing with layovers in Europe. Not impossible to get your guns over there but a bit of a hassle. Outfitter can help with that. Something to think about.
I am booked for a hunt with Dries Visser this April. I booked this hunt in 2019 but Covid has disrupted of course. Now lots has changed in SAfrica. Would appreciate any reviews of Dries Visser Safaris as it seems several guides have left? I know pretty much all of S Africa is high fenced but DV has a very large concession and prior to our booking in 19 had really good reviews. I ma new here thanks for any help.

I bowhunted free range Axis with SOE Outfitters out of Bracketville, Tx last April and had a good hunt took a nice buck. My wife took her first animal every, a nice Axis buck on that same hunt with rifle.

I am booked for a hunt with Dries Visser this April. I booked this hunt in 2019 but Covid has disrupted of course. Now lots has changed in SAfrica. Would appreciate any reviews of Dries Visser Safaris as it seems several guides have left? I know pretty much all of S Africa is high fenced but DV has a very large concession and prior to our booking in 19 had really good reviews. I ma new here thanks for any help.
RS: That outfit is a long ways from where I have hunted so can't help much. Their 2021 package deals looked to be quite competitive with an excellent variety of game. PHs move around a lot. Many of the lodges rely mostly on freelance PHs with only one or two permanent staff guys. Seems everyone likes that system better. If a client cancels out, his PH can jump to another job with another lodge and no hard feelings. So, what you see listed on their website for PHs could change from year to year. That said, there are plenty of slipshod outfits operating that may be advertising stuff they can't deliver. I didn't see a gallery of clients with trophies on their site which I thought was odd. Do they have a Facebook page? That might have some good info re past clients. I suggest contacting the South African Professional Hunters Association and see what they know about your lodge. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edit: I found the gallery on their site. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Back