Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tent suggestions?

Paul in Idaho

I need to get a new tent. I have two main requirements - it needs to be easy for one person to set up in 10 minutes or less, and I have to be able to stand up in it. It doesn't need to be huge. 8x10 would be plenty.

Can any of you recommend a tent that fits these needs? I haven't kept up on which brands are making good products.

I just returned from scouting and hunting almost a week, with no shelter other than my truck. I chose this method so I could stay mobile, as I didn't know where in the very large unit I'd find the deer, and didn't want to spend time driving from a base camp each day. With all the snow, ice and mud, I had to eat and dress in the truck. It also made drying clothes difficult. So, I decided a tent that can be set up quickly would be a good middle-ground option for mobility and comfort.

Thank you.
Paul

Go with a tipi style tent and add a small stove. Very fast set up and take down. I use a Shangrila 5, but their not made anymore.

Ditto on the tipi style with a stove. If you need a more dual purpose tent, I like alps mountaineering outfitter tents. They have a heavy duty floor and zipper but still ok to pack. Very cheap on amazon.

I use my frabil 6 man ice shack all the time for a hunting tent. You can fit two cots, multiple coolers, hang a lamp, cook, heat with a buddy heater. Throw some outdoor carpet down and your gold. Super fast and easy, durable and stout. Sounds silly at first but one of the smartest things I've done. Don't always need the wall tent or backpack tent, this is the middle ground.

I love my Montana Canvas Spike III with my Ellis Stove, but it's waaaay outside the 10-minute set-up. On the bright side, once it is set up I am quite comfy! ;)

Thanks everyone! I'll look at all the suggested items. Redwood, great idea on the ice fishing shelter. I haven't gone ice fishing since I was a kid, but have been wanting to start. That would allow one piece of equipment to serve double duty, which is nice due to storage space limits.

I thought about this more, talked to some friends about it, and decided the ice fishing shelter is the way to go. Today I saw Cabela's has some on sale and ordered one. I'll be interested to see how it sets up. Thanks for the idea.

I think this ice fishing shelter will be perfect for my needs. It pops up in a minute or less and has plenty of room for a cot, chair and gear. The construction quality seems good so far.

Thanks again for the idea!

Attachments

• ice-tent-1.jpg
    ice-tent-1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 306
  • ice-tent-2.jpg
    ice-tent-2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 308
It sounds like you own a pickup? Do you have a topper on it? I often scout and hunt in a similar way....camping out where I end up each particular night. I have an extended cab pickup where I store my equipment and there is plenty of room inside my topper to spend the night out of the wet, wind, and cold. I have a rubber bed liner plus an old carpet in my bed....plus add a 1" thermarest for comfort. I camped out in it in a couple blizzards this fall in Wyo when it was down in the single digets...and was super warm and comfy! Several nights the winds were blowing 20 to 30 mph and I was thankful I wasn't in a tent!

Yes, I have a truck with a cap. I have camped the same way you describe several times, including this year's November hunt. Sleeping was fine. It was eating, dressing and reading that was frustrating and uncomfortable. There's no place to spread out clothes to dry either.

It's tough to rough it in the late fall and winter months! Staying mobile like you want makes it even tougher. I'm not sure if the wind blows much where you scout/hunt but I can't imagine trying to set up a tent every day in 10 to 30 mph wind, snow, and cold in late fall/winter. I guess it's tough having everything. A camper or trailer may be an option but obviously is a pain hauling around. There are likely some fairly small, rugged trailers with clearance that may work? The ice shelters above would likely be ok but I can't imagine digging everything out of my truck and setting it up every day after a long day in the field. I guess there are good and bad for each option. A truck topper may not be perfect but sure is fast, warm, dry, and mobile! If you are out for only a few days it's not too terribly bad...2 weeks and I can understand your frustration! I know a couple guys that have put a platform across their bed so they can store things underneith and more room to sleep and store things above.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back