MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Not quite backcountry hunting

peterk1234

You know who you are. You drove from New York to hunt in Montana. You hiked in a whopping half mile with your buddies. All of you are sporting brand new tipi tents and cookware and you are set up in the middle of an atv/ hiking trail. Not only did you do that, you built a fire right above a little ravine and open woodland where the deer and elk will pass through. It was 45 degrees, you will live without a fire. Thank you for blowing out the entire area.

I usually don't get annoyed enough to post crap like this but this is a bit ridiculous. They would have been better off just sleeping in their truck at the trailhead. I'm all for enjoying the pleasures of sleeping in the mountains. But please do others the courtesy of getting off the damn trails. Suck it up. Head northwest up another 1500 feet or more so we are not tripping over your shit.

Ran into something similar to this in CO. He wasn't in near as inconvenient of a spot and no fire but he packed in 600 yards max from the parking lot.

As I'm heading out, two young ladies with six unleashed dogs were heading in for a run on the trail. That in itself could be whole other discussion. I'm curious though if the dogs rampaged through their camp. Would not shock me at all because those dogs were out of control.

Me thinks it is time to just hunt elsewhere.

I was just at a mile from the road on a fairly well traveled trail. Had been hunting most of the day and on my way out. I opted to sit back under some cover off trail when a quite fit probably late 50s lady and her even fitter daughter went by walking their dogs up the trail. They would have never seen me, but the dogs found me. 🤣🤣. I wasn’t at all irritated. It’s public land and in my younger days I saw “movies” that started quite similar. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I figured I could give them a pass for exercising their puppies and appreciating all our lands have to offer.

I see people camping in the back county of the Custer just about every year. Always gives me a chuckle. You can walk to just about any place on the Custer in two hours.
One time a very popular TV host packed in to a remote hill and set up camp. Good hill for a big deer too. I walked into that hill and saw a dandy right at daylight a decade earlier. I am betting that any older deer that might have been on that hill and the surrounding canyons didn't stay there long. Could be why the TV host shot a very small three point.

I see people camping in the back county of the Custer just about every year. Always gives me a chuckle. You can walk to just about any place on the Custer in two hours.
One time a very popular TV host packed in to a remote hill and set up camp. Good hill for a big deer too. I walked into that hill and saw a dandy right at daylight a decade earlier. I am betting that any older deer that might have been on that hill and the surrounding canyons didn't stay there long. Could be why the TV host shot a very small three point.

Hey, for some of us low elevation flat landers, what takes you two hours takes us more like four hours 😁

Your post brought back memories.

I hate that. I have had hunts ruined by campers with e-bikes going in and out of every canyon. Public land.

I am going to add to this as I sit atop a mountain bored as elk have already bedded. I have a guy hunting around me who is driving a LOADED 4 door SxS every rack, shelf, fire extinguisher, gas can option there is! He's so hardcore it even has a front mounted bike rack for his ebike that is loaded on it (not a single trail here where he can take that ebike that SxS will not go). He's got to have more $ than me knows what to do with it, and after a brief conversation (not very friendly Uturd) guy has weirdly whitest teeth I have ever seen, it was awkward looking at him smile.
-bored if u can't tell

I am going to add to this as I sit atop a mountain bored as elk have already bedded. I have a guy hunting around me who is driving a LOADED 4 door SxS every rack, shelf, fire extinguisher, gas can option there is! He's so hardcore it even has a front mounted bike rack for his ebike that is loaded on it (not a single trail here where he can take that ebike that SxS will not go). He's got to have more $ than me knows what to do with it, and after a brief conversation (not very friendly Uturd) guy has weirdly whitest teeth I have ever seen, it was awkward looking at him smile.
-bored if u can't tell
We're his pockets bedazzled? And did he have chinette?

Back