Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tent Suggestions

Bob Vetter

Hey fellas me and my hunting partner are looking to purchase a brand new tent this spring.

I would like to get some suggestions. I have been keeping up with all the threads lately on the subject, but none seem to fit the bill.

Wall tent has been the top contender, but we need something that will work via truck, canoes, and if really need be packed in a few miles. That's were the wall tent really takes a dump.

Stove is a must. We looked at tipi tents, but I am just not sure?

Snow Trekkers look nice as well?

Most of our hunting is done out of a truck / canoe at this time. I have a bivy system all ready in the works for packing way in.

Thanks
Bob

If you decide to go tipi style ,I ran across this place last year ,bought one of thier tents and it is perfect for my spike camp, Very reasonable on the price

Hoggan's
Custom Canvas & Leather
P.O. Box 825 :: 530 6th Street
Rupert, Idaho 83350
Phone: 208-436-4395
Fax: 208-436-5138
[email protected]

Last edited:
I purchased a stove from www.seekoutside.com . Total weight including the pipe 3lbs. It holds heat for more than enough time to get situated. I purchased the large.

Tent... I really did not like the durability factor of the tipi tents that are very light. It is a personal decision, a tradeoff between durable and packable. A good middle ground is where I settled. Considering the massive price, I wanted something that would be tolerable to my abuse.

For what your describing I'd look at the Cabelas Alaknak or Bighorn II.

Sytes,

What tent are you using?

The Alaknak 12x12 is in the running at only 31 lbs total its not to heavy. That tent would work excellent in the canoe or truck or on a pack horse.

Biggest concern I have with a Cabela's product is durability? We are considering buying from them because of our club points.

I haven't used the Alaknak, but have spent 70-80+ nights in a Bighorn II, they are both made out of the same material. The bighorn has been extremely reliable and the stove you can buy for either tent has been very good as well. I would suspect that the Alaknak would be just as reliable.

If you are going to be packing it away from a rig, be that canoe or vehicle, I'd also look at the tents that seeksoutside offers as well. Their biggest with a liner and stove would weigh probabaly less than 1/2 what the Alaknak weighs for the tent alone.

If you are interested in the sil-nylon tipi, here are some companies I know of that offer them:

www.kifaru.net
www.seekoutside.com
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/tents.html

Might be worth looking at David Ellis canvas. www.cowboycamp.net

One of his torrent or prairie models would work good for your application. I've use one of his range tents for years and really like the extra shelter over the door that other tipi style tents don't have.

Back