Caribou Gear Tarp

Tent stove ?

I was wondering where you got your kit from? Also, and don't laugh, what is CPC? Guessing it's an oil of sorts.

got kit from amazon, just make sure the barrel your going to use will fit dimensions of the door. we had to cut out a drain fitting on top to place door perfect but was easy with a few drill bits and a reciprocating saw. CPC is corrosion prevention compound, sorry military term... like heavy duty WD-40. once done make sure you have a hot burn to get whatever was previously in barrel out before you use in tent. REAL happy how it turned out. one other thing was that kit came with a 6" dampner, just had to buy a reducer to 5" to put thru my tent opening. so ended up: stove dampner, maybe 3' of 6" pipe, reducer thru tent, then probably 6' of 5" pipe stacked outside. piping was real cheap at local hardware store

Last edited:
I found this one in my Dad's basement. I dont know if i can concontrol heat well enough to bake bisquits, but I'm willing to take that chance. I would like to pay close to original retail when I need to replace it.

Attachments

• 20150221_104218.jpg
    20150221_104218.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 20150221_104228.jpg
    20150221_104228.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 20150221_104241.jpg
    20150221_104241.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 203
Two types of stoves,packing and truck camping. If you truck camp you can go with heavier steel,grates, etc and a larger stove,all adding to the ability to radiate heat longer.If you pack in then a smaller and lighter package is a must, and getting up in the middle of the night to stoke it,I find taking a decent sleeping bag and just letting the fire die out works fine. I have several stoves for several different applications. I build my own,the one pictured is 10 x12 x 18 with 20 ga sides, top ,and 10 ga bottom .I dble up were the pipe hole is cut (4" pipe hole after pic was taken)
It fits in a pack pannier and heats my 9 X 9 spike tent very well.

Attachments

• DSCN5865.jpg
    DSCN5865.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN5866.jpg
    DSCN5866.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 196
Was looking at a you tube video about using a rocket stove in a tent. I could not believe how simple and effective it was. More efficient, less wood, less smoke, and easy to load. Not to mention costs nearly nothing. Thought it might be something worth considering for those in the market for a tent stove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvPnP1eGUKw

The sand or dirt is placed in the bottom of the stove to slow the bottom from burning out and needing replaced.

Stove

For my camp stove I bought the wall tent shop largest stove they had. After three years of the fire burning out and extreme cold in the morning, I changed. We bought a 55 gallon drum and welded the parts kit to it and was extremely happy. I can load it with pine and make it all night. The kit was bought online from a michigan based company and I had a friend do the welding. The mat I put over the floor is a fireproof cloth. I also put one on either side behind it.

We have been on some bitter cold Nov and Dec hunts with night time lows well below zero. Keeping a stove going all night didn't make for more/better sleep. What did is choking the fire out at bed time layering 2 good bags and a fleece blanket, wearing thermals under sweats, thick wool socks, a hooded sweatshirt and a fleece cap. Now I'll admit I was worried about frost bite on our nose's but it didn't happen.
The way I see it you can either do that or fight a stove all night with the ups and downs.
The wife and I have a long standing agreement- she cooks dinner every night and I get up 20 min early and start a fire in the morning so I can sweat her out of her bag by go time.

Option 1.
Get a better bag system.
2 fight a stove all night and risk chimney fires,go outs, and runaway sweat tents.
3. Take your relationship with your hunting partner to the next level and use body heat to stay alive.

3. Is probably most economical

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back