Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tell me why this is a bad idea

It'll work just fine. I stay overnight in my Otter hub on the ice. Doesn't seem terribly difficult to add a stove jack, but I use one of those Chinese diesel heaters to pump in warm air. They're not ventilated well enough to trust a Propane heater overnight IMO.

For speed it will be hard to beat a shanty! Canvas is nice if your there for a week but my shanty for a night or 2: throw down canvas tarp, pop open shanty (put couple stakes in), set up cot (fits perfect) unroll my bag. Set up heater if needed...done, time to drink beer!

I’ve got a cheap wall tent, and a big insulated ice shelter. I’ve never camped in the ice shelter, but I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work. Little propane burner, open the vents on top for some airflow. You sure don’t need a tent to be 72 and comfy, if it’s 10 outside 40 feels pretty nice. I like my wall tent with a wood stove, it’s been on 2 weeklong hunts and several other camping trips. I’m not saying it’s not good, but I question it’s durability. So I guess, long answer short, it would be fine IMO.

I double my ice castle fish house as my toy hauler/trailhead sleeping house in the fall. No regrets about using it for both my passions.

You have the flexbow? I've been looking at those pretty hard. They seem to be a breeze to set up with a good amount of room.
Yea, it’s an easy set up and plenty of room. Ended up going with a couple painter canvases on the floor so we can just pick them up and shake them out at the end of the hunt. Floor is heavy duty but the canvas is a nice layer or protection and comfort.

Someone else explored this a couple of years ago. Maybe @Paul in Idaho ?
Yes, I have used my ice shelter for elk hunting more than ice fishing. It works well on most hunts. I can have camp set up in less than 15 minutes including my cot and sleeping bag.

Water and heat management can be difficult in some situations. Have a tarp in case it rains, and a towel or sponge to deal with condensation on the ceiling when it's cold. I found that a Mr. Heater propane Buddy heater is not adequate to warm it up in the morning after a night with lows in the single digits.

two biggest concerns would be,, some are not water/rainproof roofs and carbon mon. poisoning if heated with propane and sleeping, but it is a good idea and you can have the camp set up in a quickie

Just ordered the seek outside courthouse. Pretty excited for it…Anybody here have one? Curious what stove you have and if you’ve ever tried to backpack it in anywhere?

Forget about putting a woodstove in a plastic tent. The cinders coming out the chimney get blown onto tent and instantly melt through. You can't patch the holes fast enough.

Forget about putting a woodstove in a plastic tent. The cinders coming out the chimney get blown onto tent and instantly melt through. You can't patch the holes fast enough.
Do you have one? Of all the reviews I’ve read I haven’t heard of this being a significant issue. Does make sense though

Do you have one? Of all the reviews I’ve read I haven’t heard of this being a significant issue. Does make sense though
Very popular selling item here is polypropylene wall tent kits with aluminum supports (actually, I think these are pop-up temporary garage/storage units to circumvent permanent structure by-law restrictions). I've stayed in several camps with these. Very leaky! Not a problem with canvas tents. Cotton is substantially non-flammable. Every year campers burn to death in plastic tents, usually from cooking in them. Highly flammable.

Last edited:
For truck camping I use a 6 person llbean tent that I can stand up in. A buddy heater heats it well enough. Upgraded to a 12 ft propane hose so I can hook it up to a 20lb tank outside and not just those 1lb bottles. Looking forward to it!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back