Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tell me why this is a bad idea

wtrfwlhunter

Excluding backpack hunts, for weekend hunting I’ve pretty much always just hunted from the house on day trips or slept in the back of the pickup on solo missions. I realized this year that hunting from the house with family and friends wastes a ton of energy if you plan on hunting Both days of the weekend. Next season I’m planning on making a change to spending full weekends + at the trailheads because I think it just makes more sense logistically.

The standard piece of gear that came to mind for this is a wall tent of course, but damn these tents are expensive. So I was thinking, why wouldn’t an overnight ice fishing shelter work for hunting? They are significantly cheaper and fisherman spend multiple nights in them on the ice. The only downside I can really think of is the lack of a wood stove. Benefits I can think of would be cheaper cost and easier set up. Can anyone tell me other reasons why this is a bad idea?

Can’t find a camo unit has been my biggy.
I have noticed that generally the colors are a bit “loud” on these shelters, but I’ve reasoned that it doesn’t matter since I’ll pretty much be set up next to my truck anyway.

I haven't got to this point yet in my hunting in the west but I've researched it. For ice fishing here I have a Eskimo 3 hub. With the propane heater it's nice. I thought about using it for hunting but worried about the carbon monoxide gas. I've also researched how to put a small wood stove in it and there are adapter kits to seal the stove pipe on the roof.

I used one this year for 3 nights, in Nebraska during rifle season. It works great, I have an insulated one and with a heater on low you can get it plenty warm. Also I had 2 cots in there and you still have room to walk in the middle as well stand up all the way.

I just throw down a tarp and a piece of outdoor carpet. The biggest thing is get some 15-18" long earth anchors for the corners and you're good to go.

Mine is a eskimo 949I.

I just picked up a pop up truck camper for pretty cheap. It's older but a little tlc and elbow grease has brought it to life. Pull up to the trail head, pop up the top, pop a beer and your camping.

I sleep in the back of my SUV or in a regular tent. You don't have a wood stove, so why mess with the weight of an ice shack?

I sleep in the back of my SUV or in a regular tent. You don't have a wood stove, so why mess with the weight of an ice shack?
As do I, but I’m talking about multiple nights and with at least one, probably two friends or family who aren’t as crazy about it as I am. I don’t mind doing that myself, but if I’m Out with dad for example there’s no way he’s hunting two nights sleeping in the back of a truck or in a normal tent. Not sure what conditions you normally go out in, but truck or tent camping both are uncomfortable when it is very cold and for multiple nights. Other reasons, aside from obvious comfort advantages and the ability to sleep multiple people include being able to hang and potentially dry gear, having room to cook better meals. To boil it down It would really be to create a better camp expierence overall to avoid going home at the end of every day.

Last edited:
One up it, get a good light weight sleep and shelter system and don’t come out …
I’m trying to create a setup specifically for trailhead camping to hunt with family members And friends who don’t want to spike camp. I have a perfectly fine backpacking system that works great for me when I want to hunt that way.

Cool looking tent! The price point is more reasonable than some others I’ve seen and I have confidence in seek outside’s quality. Might have to look more into that one.
Three cots and stove.....plus room for gear. Makes for a nice setup if you have the space

As do I, but I’m talking about multiple nights and with at least one, probably two friends or family who aren’t as crazy about it as I am. I don’t mind doing that myself, but if I’m Out with dad for example there’s no way he’s hunting two nights sleeping in the back of a truck or in a normal tent. Not sure what conditions you normally go out in, but truck or tent camping both are uncomfortable when it is very cold or for multiple nights. Other reasons, aside from obvious comfort advantages and the ability to sleep multiple people include being able to hang and potentially dry gear, having room to cook better meals. To boil it down It would really be to create a better camp expierence overall to avoid going home at the end of every day.
Based on your OP, I thought you were going alone to get away from family. :ROFLMAO:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back