Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tell me what you think

BigBuxMT

Well I went and looked at about 10 bucks Monday. Most of them were little fork horns. Here's a pic of two small bucks....A big 3 point and a little 4 point. Tell me if you think I messed up on passing up the bigger one in the other pic. He was tall and figured he was right at 25" wide. His back forks were a little weak but being the first day I didn't want to end the season this soon. The pic isn't very good but you get the point.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 523
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 524
I would have held off beings it was early in the season. I'm sure you'll run into a toad up there a little later on. On another note my brother-in-law Ed got a 6x4 with eye guards that was about 22" wide or so. Just talked to him on the phone about the hunt and haven't got to see the buck yet, maybe on Thursday.

schelmster

Schelmster-Hey good for Ed....Whitetail or Muley? Yeah I didn't get real excited over that buck. I have a couple spotted that I need to get a better look at. There is a lot of snow up there, walked about 3-4 miles through knee deep snow. We're taking snowmobils up to get to where they are though. Well talk to ya later.

Those are great picks, and I think you did right by passing, so early in the season......I do get pretty particular myself, sometimes going with an empty tag for the season......other times my trigger finger overcomes my self-discipline, LOL.......good luck this season and hope you find the one you are looking for....;)

Good call, keep hunting, I am sure you cna find something bigger. Best of luck.

It's a personal Call. I would say Hold out but I killed a lesser buck. that being said, I didn't have time to get back out. As it is I have only "1" day to hunt Elk this year. (Not that I'm wining, just making the point of the TIME issue). If you have pleanty of time or the good chance at getting something bigger then you did it 100% right !!!!

Either way, right or wrong, thanx for the Picture !!! Awesome !! keep um coming, hopefully we'll see you behind a F'in toad this year !!!!

Call depends on your time & priorities in my opinion....I whacked a smallish 4x4 during bow season (though I knew/saw there were bigger bucks out there) because I wanted to spend more of my (limited) time elk hunting....kind of a get the deer tag out of the way sorta thang ;)

Other seasons I've seen a good buck and held out for him the entire year only to sip the soup. That's hunting.......

If you've got plenty of time to hunt I think you absolutely made the right call. Thats a good buck, but I'm sure with putting in some time, you'll be able to find better. What part of Montana you hunting? My brother said he was into knee deep snow as well opening day in one of the ranges around Great Falls.

This early in the season, you shouldnt have even bothered to think about killing any of those dinks.

Sometimes though...everyone gets a mean-streak in them and pulling the trigger seems like the right thing to do.

I'd wait though.

I didn't even think about pulling the trigger, I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I do have 10 days to hunt starting tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a good one. The biggest one in that pic I figured was about 160". I know he's hard to judge from the pic but I had him at 100 yrds. for about 1/2 hour. Thanks for your input guys.

Schelmster- Yeah I heard there was some nice ones hanging out in that area. Was he on my side or the other side? If you don't mind telling me.

Miller- yeah the picture doesn't do him any justice. I might talk my dad into shooting him just to see how close I guessed. That usually isn't that hard.

You made a good choice grasshopper. I'm guessing your talking about the 4-point in the lower pic is 160? Because I'm not the best internet scorer but there is no way that buck is 160 if your talking about the 3 point. Good luck the next 10 days. Good things come to those who wait.

I would have done the same thing as you. In my opinion I don't think he would have gone 25 inches wide, maybe closer to 20-22. You could always go back later and shoot him if you don't see anything bigger.

IdahoBugler said:
I'm not the best internet scorer but

Thats what he says... but I hear I.B. has scored several times on the Internet in a Lezbo Chat room. He's a Freak I tell yah... a True freak ;)

Good luck on the Big bucks.. I'm busy thinning out the little ones.........:rolleyes:

That buck on the left will be lucky if he nets 125". I've officially measured critters for years, and although photos are sometime difficult to judge, I'm fairly confident that one is not 160".......Shoot what makes you happy, but if you have more time to hunt and are seeing bucks, I'd hold off for a better buck.

Back