Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tell me about your tent

Have you thought about a bivy sack?
I’m gonna try to use my rei all season with my copper spur 2 rain fly this year for convenience and to save weight.
My bag and pad will roll up tight enough inside the bivy to fit in the stuff sack for my sleeping bag so if it’s not raining I should be able to have camp set up and taken down quick af.
No stakes required.
The dog might not fit though.
Stole this idea from born and raised.

Copper SPur UL3 MTN glow.

For one person this tent is great. Its light and you can put all of your gear in there if it rains. It has a good way to get rid of the moisture and Its sets up very fast too.

I bought my first tent in 1976 a North Face Oval InTentention. It was the first Geodesic designed tent and they have one on display in the Smithsonian.
I was 13 then and I've been a tent whore my whole life, I've slept in many. I've owned and sold countless tents for all occasions and I've found that a good vintage tent is superior to modern tents.
The older made in USA tents were built to last. Now days they are all made in China and even the good ones can't compare with vintage. Actually I only have one complaint against the modern tents but it's a big one; the waterproof coating. The new tents become gummy when exposed to heat ( the sun or trunk of a car ) and they just degrade after no time at all.
I have tents from the 70's, 80's that are still in excellent shape.

Oval Intention 4 peaks 001.jpg

Used super cheap tents the last couple years with no issues. For one person a single vestibule would be fine IMO, but for two people dual vestibules and two doors is absolutely essential IMO. Me and my hunting partner are trying out a Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL3 this year. Less than 3 lbs, two doors, two vestibules.

I'm very interested in this thread as well. I'll be doing my first solo backpack hunt and need to get a solo tent. Since I have a Hilleberg Nallo 3 for 2 person hunts already, and love it, I am looking hard at the Akto. But if I can't find a similar deal for a used one like I did with my Nallo I am considering cheaper options. The Hexpeak is high on my list, but the XL because I'm 6'4". But after reading this I'm looking hard at Tarptents. I haven't heard of these. I am really liking the looks of the Scarp 1. Anyone have experience with this or other Tarptents?

I'm very interested in this thread as well. I'll be doing my first solo backpack hunt and need to get a solo tent. Since I have a Hilleberg Nallo 3 for 2 person hunts already, and love it, I am looking hard at the Akto. But if I can't find a similar deal for a used one like I did with my Nallo I am considering cheaper options. The Hexpeak is high on my list, but the XL because I'm 6'4". But after reading this I'm looking hard at Tarptents. I haven't heard of these. I am really liking the looks of the Scarp 1. Anyone have experience with this or other Tarptents?
The Akto is too short for long bags and tall people IMO. I've been in the Akto and had an Enan...awesome tents but with a long bag it's dang near touching on both ends due to the slope of the tent body.

I've had a tarp tent double rainbow for about 6 years. I like it. Easy to set up and light. Never leaked. One zipper has busted on it, but I'm sure I could get it fixed if I set my mind to it.

The tent has been found! Which is nice. But you guys are such a wealth of knowledge on here that you have talked me into getting another one anyways. I'm still debating on which one, but thanks everyone who offered up some knowledge.

How do you like the X-mid? I've been thinking about ordering one.
It’s great. Super quick and easy to set up, lightweight, nice vestibule for gear. Really well thought out.

Only real cons are: the provided pegs were useless, and it takes up a fair amount of real estate to pitch for a 1 person tent

I have not yet tested it in really rough conditions, I should caveat.

note—I’m 5‘11. If I was much taller it’d be a bit tight

I have a Kelty Solctice 1 and I used it elk hunting last year in September. I like the awning that it has to keep all your gear out of the rain. I like that it is light weight. The main reason I use a tent is to keep the bugs out. I spent a long night pinching the ants that would crawl all over me in A blow down. Sleeping in the middle of the day I struggle to relax with flies landing on my face. The Kelty is the answer for me.

Weather dependent, I use either a Marmot Tungsten 1p or a stone glacier skyscraper 2p. You can get a lot lighter, but the weight on both of these isn't too heavy. They've both served me well.

Hyperlite UltaMid 2
Roomy for one. Two guys, 6'2 " & 6'4" enough but tight with gear.
Hyperlite UltaMid 2.JPG
Just received a Hexpeak XL3P yesterday. $225 with free screen insert. Bought it for a bit more room and stove jack. Smoking deal. Each tent outer with stakes under 2lbs.

Hexpeak XL3P.jpg

I have a Seek Outside Silex with a stove jack. It's a floorless shelter and light. Lots of room and I like the option of using a stove in what is still a small tent.

I'll probably get laughed out of this forum, but I've been using a Rustic Ridge 2p backpacking tent. Thing works great and holds up to wind very well. Also didnt cost me a arm and a leg so I can at least still go hunting. But i also have a small camper so there is that haha.

Made myself a 2 person, has a nice thick floor and zero punctures in my thermarest. Weighs 2 lbs 2 oz with stakes. Really happy, light, keeps me dry, tons of room to sort out gear in the rain. Set it low if it’s cold, higher when it’s warmer for more air.
60696117-CD15-407B-A5D9-3837A8511B3D.jpeg

I've been going floorless with a Nemo Spike 2p and I love it. Very small and light, takes up minimal room in the backpack. Have had it in rain and snow and keeps me dry. Sets up with 2 trekking poles. I think I got it for about 100 bucks too.20200416_065214.jpg2000000000153176.jpeg

Being 66 I am concerned about weight and found a great tent, if you have the $$$, at Zpacks. I have the Triplex and love it only 21oz fully enclosed with floor. Have woke up to rain, snow, hail and it has handled itself great. It is pricey but in my opinion worth the price for this aging back....
Ron

Attachments

• Triplex.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 10
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back