Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tell me about Nevada

efw

I know nothing of the draw system in Nevada. I see from a little poking around on their site that they have a point system but does one have to pay and lose the draw to get a point, or can you buy a point outright? Do they have point creep issues like Colorado & Wyoming?

I’d love to fly into Vegas, rent a truck and hunt mulies.

Any experience or insight would be much appreciated,

Efw

I know nothing of the draw system in Nevada. I see from a little poking around on their site that they have a point system but does one have to pay and lose the draw to get a point, or can you buy a point outright? Do they have point creep issues like Colorado & Wyoming?

Any experience or insight would be much appreciated,

Efw
You can buy a point outright

You have to buy a license. Then you can either apply for the draw or just buy a point. It is more of a lottery style draw, there is no point creep, as points do not guarantee a tag. The more points you have the more times your name is thrown into the hat. Think of it as buying 1 raffle ticket or 20.
You can also fly into Reno or Elko.
There are several units that have leftover tags every year, and they all have deer.

As a former NV resident and living in Vegas. There aren’t too many units in and around there where you’ll have points anytime soon to hunt. It will take a few years but I’d focus on the Elko area (Ruby Mtns). North of Tonopah is good deer country too, but unsure on the point draw required. Good luck

Yeah...that's not going to happen for quite a few years. The southern NV deer tags are very hard to draw even for residents.
As Botch said you would be much better off focusing on the northern half of the state, but it may still take a few years to draw. You chances at an archery tag would be better though if you're an archer.
The Ruby's are one of the areas that usually have some leftover resident tags after the first drawing. If there are any leftovers after the 2nd drawing then they are available to both non-res and resident hunters on a first come first serve basis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back