Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Taxidermy For My MT. Mt. Goat Help..

Phil Tuccillo

Well I was lucky enough to shoot a billy in the Crazies this past Sept., my only dilemma is I skinned it out for a life sized mount and dropped the horns and hide off at Montana Taxidermy in Big Timber with the intensions of getting a full body mount pending on how the hide came back. First let me say this is not a post talking bad about Montana Taxidermy they come highly recommended and I was at ease when I seen the work inside when I dropped off my goat. Just saying he didn't seem like he was interested in doing a full body mount as soon as I brought it in suggesting a rug that I wasn't interested in. Anyway when I shot my goat he took a spill down a rockslide not harming his hide but giving him a decent cut under his left eye but nothing my untrained eye thought was unfixable. Anyway I just got off the phone with him seeing if the hide was back from tanning which it was and he said due to the eye he wants to do a rug. Any suggestions of any other talented MT. or surrounding states taxidermist. I just don't want to push a full body mount do to his lack of interest in doing it.
Thanks in advance, also I've been unable to post pics so if someone wants me to email or text you a picture of my goat to post so you guys with more experience can take a look at his eye that would be great.

Shawn Dawson @ Timberland Taxidermy does outstanding work, as does Mark Smart. Both are in Great Falls.

Schneider taxidermy in Helena has done amazing work for me. Boudie is a stand up guy. located in Helena.

Dennis Purcell in Red Lodge does a great job. His bases for life size mounts have always impressed me.

Last edited:
Not a goat but you can see a couple of full body mounts and the bases that Purcell has done.

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,065
Last edited:
Chad Steward with Western Creative Wildlife & Fishworks out of Helena has done deer and elk for my family, and last year did a shoulder mount moose for me. An honest guy who does good work.

I've been shopping around a bit with mine, and this guy has piqued my interest- http://www.mountaincreektaxidermy.com/

His prices are a little high, but his work comes with very high praise and the mounts on his site seem to reflect the same.

My dad has a 2 goats and a bighorn that were done by Atcheson's taxadermy in Butte, MT. As if their website isn't enough, they are one of the few taxidermists to do work for the Smithsonian. Should I ever shoot anything in MT worthy of hanging on the wall, it will go to them.

One of the goats they did for my Dad was pretty banged up... It took about a 300-350yd slide down a shale slide and over some rocky grounds. The guide guessed the goat at about 10-10.25" it was broken back to about 8.5" on each side.

I don't seem to have a picture of the completed mount on my computer, but they re-built both horns to 10 1/8 and took care of the face nicely. If there were anyone I would trust in MT to re-build a critter, It'd be Atcheson's

John Berger in Bozeman gets my taxidermy work. I've always been happy with the turn around time and quality of his work. He had a finished full body grizzly in there when I picked up my turkey a few weeks ago, it looked fantastic.

Maybe talk to Colby Louden in Circle. His work I've see is good and what he did for me was great. I'm not sure if he does mountain goats but im sure he at least give ya some sound advice.

Damn!, you guys are making it hard, everyone is recommending someone different. HaHa, I guess I got my homework cut out for me. Thanks again, Phil

This sheep had a baseball size hole blown out of his neck. I feared there was no way it could be fixed. Not only is it fixed you can't even tell where the hole was. My vote is for Jerry Andres. He's treated me nothing but fair.

sheep:wall.jpg

Dakota Taxidermy Bismarck, ND they have won a few world championships for full body sheep great guys to work with ask for John.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back