Taxidermist Nightmare - need serious advice

Thanks all. I’ll be calling the local warden next week.
Same thing happened to a taxi I used once. The CO wasn't helpful at first but when it came out on the news and a class action lawsuit was threatened suddenly they cared. Taxis are licensed through the DNR so they were able to use that as a way to pay him a visit. The end result was that the DNR set everyone's antlers on tables in the guys front yard and you needed some kind of proof to get your stuff back.
I just bugged the crap out of him until he finished my mount. Stopped by his house every week, texted him often. I threatened him with small claims court and that pushed him to finish the mount before the law got involved. I had the papers in my hand on the way to the courthouse and sent him a pic. I would keep bugging the crap out of him and I'm sure other people are in the same boat maybe look into getting a group together and seeing if that gets the attention of law enforcement.

Unfortunately a lot of taxidermists and outfitters are criminals and felons who are drawn to that line of work because there are few barriers to entry.

Update: Talked to the local warden. I am one of many dealing with this exact scenario with this taxidermist. The taxidermist is under investigation by Montana FWP for multiple charges, and has his own lawyer.

Since the taxidermist does still (erratically) communicate with me, maybe I will get my hide back from him, but most likely not. The most likely way I get the hide back is if everything is eventually seized by law enforcement, and they contact the owners of everything to come claim their property. I could also take him to civil claims court, but that would probably be a drawn out unresolved mess.

Thanks all for the replies. What a bummer.

Update: Talked to the local warden. I am one of many dealing with this exact scenario with this taxidermist. The taxidermist is under investigation by Montana FWP for multiple charges, and has his own lawyer.

Since the taxidermist does still (erratically) communicate with me, maybe I will get my hide back from him, but most likely not. The most likely way I get the hide back is if everything is eventually seized by law enforcement, and they contact the owners of everything to come claim their property. I could also take him to civil claims court, but that would probably be a drawn out unresolved mess.

Thanks all for the replies. What a bummer.
Have you actually asked the Taxi for your hide back?

Have you actually asked the Taxi for your hide back?
Seriously? Countless times - in the title post I said I've even shown up at his shop multiple times. Calls, texts, have offered to pay for shipping, have said I don't care if it's not done, etc. etc.

I would call local warden.
We had to do this in SE AK on 3 bear hides the agency was great to work with. It took some time but we finally did receive one of the hides and all three skulls. The other two hides were ruined.
Edit: saw you contacted FWP that is exactly what happened in our case all items were seized and it took forever but we eventually got most of it back. Didn't even cost us shipping to beat all. AFG shipped my hide frozen FedEx and the bear now sits in my loft don't give up hope. Stay in contact with them.

Last edited:
And you know this how, life experiences?

I've known many taxidermists here in Wy and can't think of one who fits your description.
I'd stop short of saying this is true of "a lot of taxidermists" but they're certainly out there. I know of several that have been arrested for things from poaching deer, to burglary, to molesting children.

I'd stop short of saying this is true of "a lot of taxidermists" but they're certainly out there. I know of several that have been arrested for things from poaching deer, to burglary, to molesting children.
While your at it, why not stereotype another line of work? Or could it be only taxidermists poach, burglarize and molest children?

While your at it, why not stereotype another line of work? Or could it be only taxidermists poach, burglarize and molest children?
Could cover a whole array of professions, from teachers to cops to clergy.
I don't disagree. Came across as an unfair statement. There's good and bad eggs in every profession.

If anything I intended to offer a little defense of taxidermists from a previous comment, but thought it was worth mentioning that I have run into some of the bad ones locally.

I've known many taxidermists here in Wy and can't think of one who fits your description.
I deal with Taxidermist all the time, and he is right. Even here in Laramie there are shady Taxidermist who have been in trouble recently.

Some are really well organized, honest, have a nice shop, etc.. Others not so much.

Troy Hall was as crooked as the day is long and still bounces between Wyoming and Texas doing taxidermy.

I don't believe he is a felon, but walks a fine line with it.

I know he got busted for having illegal heads, poaching, not paying child support, etc.

He didn't get caught for a lot more stuff that I know for a fact he did. He killed a bull elk in unit 120 with a rifle during archery season, killed a second buck mule deer out of season, and always had his own brand of pronghorn tag good for anywhere in the state.

As is the case with guys like him, they get caught for about 1 out of 10 things they do.

In "fairness" his taxidermy work was good, if he didn't lose or sell your stuff before he did it.

Last edited:

Troy Hall was as crooked as the day is long and still bounces between Wyoming and Texas doing taxidermy.

I don't believe he is a felon, but walks a fine line with it.

I know he got busted for having illegal heads, poaching, not paying child support, etc.

He didn't get caught for a lot more stuff that I know for a fact he did. He killed a bull elk in unit 120 with a rifle during archery season, killed a second buck mule deer out of season, and always had his own brand of pronghorn tag good for anywhere in the state.

As is the case with guys like him, they get caught for about 1 out of 10 things they do.

In "fairness" his taxidermy work was good, if he didn't lose or sell your stuff before he did it.

Just some of the few and they are felons...:ROFLMAO:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back