Taxidermist grace period ?

Taxidermy seems to never get done ahead of schedule. Most guys have more work then they can handle even if they do average work. I just stopped by my taxidermists place last week and looked through all the elk upstairs, DAMN! It's pretty insane and the big money stuff gets done first. Unless it's something REAL special I just euro it and keep on hunting.

I am having a local taxidermist do four Springbok mounts done in a collage that has been more than 13 months since I dropped it off. He has a stellar reputation and his work is exemplary. But, thirteen months and was promised by late spring this yr. yet nothing as yet. I took these four springbok in 2011. Yes, I am getting somewhat anxious to have them in my possession. Taxidermist are artist and can be touchy. Then again, as can I. MTG

I am really fortunate to have a good taxidermist working out of his home about 2 miles from the house. He had a big shop in Phoenix, sold it and took two years off to build his home. He now does a small amount of work for a little extra spending money and because he gets such great pleasure to see a happy client when they pick up their work. He always tells me leave whatever you are comfortable with for a deposit and I give half. He does his own tanning so there is never a problem with third party work. He told 9 months on the first job and was done in 6. He called and said if I needed time for the rest of the money, no problem, just pick it up when I was ready. Of course, I was there in 10 minutes. The last two mounts he had done in 7 months.

The previous taxidermist I used did good work, asked for half down and was usually on time at 12 months. The last mount he did, he was 8 months late and the mount was turned the wrong direction. He is into doing in-home dioramas for collectors of African game and I was just small potatoes to him. I had referred a couple friends to him and they started getting the same poor service.

I had a horrible experience with one taxidermist that came highly recommended. He was over a year late. I called two months before it was supposed to be done just to check on paying the balance and he said it would be done on time. I told him to call for the balance when he was ready to ship. Three months later, I called and he said he just got the form in and was going to start on it tomorrow. Two months after that, I called and he said he just got the form in and would start on it tomorrow. After that, I started calling monthly and kept getting the run around. Finally, he said it would be ready and gave me a date. I told him I would be there to pick up the following week. I drove 450 miles to pick it up because I didn't want any more delays and BS about shipping. When I went into the shop, guess what he says? The form just came in and he's starting on it tomorrow! The plick did finish it and the work is good. He charged me full price for the mount, crate and shipping. He never got any more business or referrals from me.

A good taxidermist is like a good woman, hard to find and do all you can to hold on to them.

This guy is a top notch taxidermist. He is the senior guy for an elite shop in the midwest. He does a lot of african game etc. He's a college buddy of my best friend. He's doing the mount "on the side" for $400... so I'm not complaining. Just anxious to get it. He did some horn mounts for us in the past & they were top notch. Other taxidermists have praised his work of mine.

My wife's goose and my duck are 2 months late as of right now. Havent heard from him and every time I call its later and later. Dont expect to get them till next hunting season at this point. Also will likely never go back to him as prices are as high as others and wait time seems to be in question now, and that was the main reason I went to him. I am lucky though all my big game mounts are done by my father so its a short wait time since he only does family right now.

My wife's goose and my duck are 2 months late as of right now. Havent heard from him and every time I call its later and later. Dont expect to get them till next hunting season at this point. Also will likely never go back to him as prices are as high as others and wait time seems to be in question now, and that was the main reason I went to him. I am lucky though all my big game mounts are done by my father so its a short wait time since he only does family right now.

And so it will always be; if a taxidermist does great work, is cheap and has a fast turnaround, then the word will get out and his client list will grow, the bigger backlog will create longer turnaround time and he'll eventually wise up and charge more.
Maybe the taxidermist will hire help but the new help will stick around long enough to develop his skills and then quit and start his own business down the street and will cutthroat price his work to draw in customers. The word will get out that he does good work, is cheap and has a fast turnaround. Eventually his client list will grow, the bigger backlog will..................................................................................................

I shot a mule deer in Wyoming last fall. It was my first mount. Nothing like a lot of you guys shoot here, but I was thrilled with him. I shot the deer toward the end of October. It was done in April for about $550. It looks fantastic. I was thrilled with how it turned out. I wasn't sure if they normally took that long, or if they were normally that expensive. Based on what you guys are saying here, if I am fortunate enough to have the need for a good taxidermist again, I should go back to him. Good information. I had been wondering about the same thing.

Mine says 5-6 months and he has never let me down. He then delivers to my house and mounts it on the wall ,does the final hair touch ups and makes sure I am 100% happy. Does this for all with in driving distance customers..

I feel you have every right to contact your taxidermist at the time he said it would be done. I pride myself on getting all my work done on time and if I don't I will call the customer and let them know why it's late.I believe thats only common courtesy,however constant hounding probably won't help your case.

I shot a mule deer in Wyoming last fall. ... I wasn't sure if they normally took that long, or if they were normally that expensive. Based on what you guys are saying here, if I am fortunate enough to have the need for a good taxidermist again, I should go back to him. Good information. I had been wondering about the same thing.

If I'm not mistaken WY has a law requiring taxidermists to have work done within a year? Maybe I dreamt that up?

My taxi would be out of grace with all of you guys I guess. He's had a bear of mine going on 3 yrs but I don't complain. We have an unspoken agreement he takes his sweet azz time doing it and I take my sweet azz time paying him. Works for both if us. I'd be bankrupt if he called right now and had all the work I have with him done :)

My taxidermist returned my call. He said that he is still waiting for the cape. Hopefully I will get it before my next WY trip!

Well i got my wife's goose and my gadwall on monday. Not as bad turn around as he had informed me the last time we talked. They look great too. Will post photos.

I've been doing taxidermy now for 33 years. My turnaround time is never over 6 months, ever. I currently have three completed pieces from different customers that have been completed and not picked up for three months. This never used to happen until about 5 years ago when money got tighter. Now it seems to be the norm. I work very hard to keep my word and complete the work when I say it will be done. Not all taxidermists are the same. If yours isn't holding up his agreement, there's plenty of other qualified taxidermists out there that would appreciate your business!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 276
Just a note, a good taxidermist can be 2 years backlogged when you take your animal to him, and for me I would rather have it good than now. Whiskey Mtn. taxidermy in Yakima Wa. was the best id ever seen but he closed around 2000. He was always more than a year wait.

I have been waiting 3 years on 5 buck is to much for me will go get class to do them my self. This bites but will be fun.

Ive been waiting almost 2 years for 2 pheasants. This guy hasnt returned a call in about a year now. He works out of his home, but no one is ever there when I go to the town he is in. The last pheasant I took to him was 9 months which I didnt think was too bad.

Back