Caribou Gear

Talk about Luck!

MNHunter

So I finally get around to reading the articles in the April issue of the Huntin Fool and see Bryan Martin’s article. That dude drew a Montana Rocky tag and an Arizona Desert tag in the same year! He killed a hawg in MT, not sure how he did in AZ. I wish I had that kind of luck!

AZ was good to him as well, but according to someone else on this board, there was a pile of dedication that got him his ram.

Miller is correct, Bryan shot two great rams.

I talked to Bryan several times before his bighorn hunt about the area he drew and also put him in touch with a good friend of mine that lives near the area he drew. My Dad drew the same unit in 2005 and killed a good ram in there too (183 B&C). It was great sharing information with someone who was so damn excited about having the tag! Lots of people draw good tags and dont really appreciate them. I doubt many hunters would appreciate the opportunity any more than Bryan.

Bryan was determined to kill a 190+ ram in MT and I honestly didnt think he would in the area he drew. I didnt see any rams that I felt were over 185 the year before, but several that were definately in the 180-185 class.

Bryan did what it took and shot a 190 ram, well deserved and I'm happy to say I was wrong.

Bryan just recently sent me a few pictures of the desert he shot...really, really nice ram...13 years old, heavily broomed...about all you could ever hope for in a desert ram.

Lucky to draw the tags???...yep...lucky to take two exceptional rams???...nope.

Bryan certainly is a good hunter, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was/am just a little green with envy!

He earned it no doubt. He set a high bar and leaped it. I was lucky enough to get to tag along a couple days of his hunt and was pretty damn suprised at the ram he passed up the first day. HEAVY horned booner with a bullet hole in the left horn. I knew he'd get a great one, but figured it might take him several weeks to find the one he was looking for.

Attachments

• Bryan_s_06_MT_Bighorn__quartered_view.JPG
    Bryan_s_06_MT_Bighorn__quartered_view.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 193
I had no doubt he'd find a ram to his liking...but I wasnt overly optimistic about one scoring 190...in particular based on the history of that hunting unit with the die-off and all.

Hopefully the sheep in there stay healthy.

What a great ram!

Bryan shot his Arizona ram on Christmas. He started his hunt on December 1st. If that says anything - I don't know. He does get after it and puts in more work than about anybody, as a hunter and guide. Also, he's a heck of a good guy and friend.

IIRC the guy that Bryan buys his boots from (Kenetrek Boots) drew an AZ and NV desert sheep tag last year!!!! :D

I don't know Bryan, but did get to chat with him a bit at the Expo. Seems like a stand up guy and from the looks of his photo album one hard working hunter/guide.

PS- Anyone here use the Kenetrek Boots?

Bryan was all smiles in Salt Lake this past year. He was even kind enough to loan us his Montana horns for our booth.

I ordered some of those Kenetrek boots at the show but the back ordered till July. He hear Jim W won a Marco Polo hunt at the show as well.

Awesome ram. Also some pretty stellar luck to be picking up sheep tags like that.

Bryan is a very cool guy. I had enough luck to run into him about 3 weeks ago while working "UPS driver" and had a long talk with him. Very down to earth guy with major dedacation to what he loves, hunting. One of the nicest guys I have met in sometime. He was even nice enough to give me some pointers on this comming years back pack hunts. Looking foward to talking with him again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back