Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tailgate Ramp for Large Deer

I was curious to get peoples' thoughts on a portable ramp that you can build to help get big game into the truck bed. I have tried a bunch of different things, but this one looks really interesting. It uses pvc pipe as rollers and some rebar. I actually think I can build this!

YouTube Link

Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 6.58.24 PM.png

Thanks, my issue is I have a bad back and hunt alone. The bear I am targeting this year is like 300 pounds. I was thinking if I built this and put it the truck bed, I could use for the bear. I had the hitch one you describe (Sportsman''s guide) and it failed with my last bear.

Thanks, my issue is I have a bad back and hunt alone. The bear I am targeting this year is like 300 pounds. I was thinking if I built this and put it the truck bed, I could use for the bear. I had the hitch one you describe (Sportsman''s guide) and it failed with my last bear.
Just curious, how are you getting the bear TO the truck to begin with?

Fair. Ramp is one way. Or the old tried and true snowmachine/four wheeler method, find a steep bank to back right up to and slide it straight in...

Having not butchered any bear and some what leery of blundering it, I like the ramp idea. A sled dragging animal to truck should work.

I would like to see a roller that would insert into the receiver. That way you could drive forward to pull critter up in with an anchored rope.

I have used a calf sled and my ATV/sled ramps before. Works good. Would work even better if I rigged up a come along system for the bed of the truck

Excuse my cave drawing. Can also secure rope to something sturdy instead of pulling it yourself. Then just drive the pickup forward.

Edit to add: you can add more pulleys as desired for more mechanical advantage, but this is simple enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I’ve loaded a couple whole by myself by just finding a low spot to back up to that puts the tailgate about level with the ground and just drag it straight in.

Or just skin the carcass, leave feet and head with the skin if you don’t want to deal with them yourself, and quarter the carcass. Ramps just take up a lot of unnecessary space IMO.

Back