MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bear-Proof Hanging Deer Feeder Ideas?

Hello everyone! Deer season is coming fast. I have gone through 4 hanging feeders in the past several years. Where I hunt, bears literally climb the tree and destroy the feeder and tree. I am curious to get peoples' ideas on how to protect your feeder. I saw this ingenious approach on YouTube where you hang the feeder between two trees using a pulley system and chain. I really think I will try this. Any thoughts?

YouTube Link

1.jpg

I guided for a few years in area on the coast with bears and deer. We would put a pulley out on a good strong branch and use cable...run an eye bolt into the base of the tree for your anchor...figure out your cable length and rig it up, a preform for the cable and a couple shackels works well. We used a 4 wheeler or a winch to lower and raise feeder...we would also get roof flashing and make a couple loops around the feeder tree...5'-8 high' so it's slick metal for the front paws. Good Luck!

Well easy answer. Pull your hanger up and nail set mouse traps all around the tree! :)

Hello everyone! Deer season is coming fast. I have gone through 4 hanging feeders in the past several years. Where I hunt, bears literally climb the tree and destroy the feeder and tree. I am curious to get peoples' ideas on how to protect your feeder. I saw this ingenious approach on YouTube where you hang the feeder between two trees using a pulley system and chain. I really think I will try this. Any thoughts?

YouTube Link

View attachment 287733

I did something very similar and it works great. Although, my intention was not necessarilu to keep bears away but, rather, create a "feed tree" that the deer didnt recognize as a man made feeder. Hung mine 25' in the air between two pine trees and bought an auger style feeder that dispenses the feed straight down, as opposed to broadcasting it. Super quite and very discrete.

I went to harbor freight and bought wire rope, labeled as aircraft cable. They also sell tie down brackets, which I lagged into the trees and attached the wire rope to. Bought a trailer winch and attached it to pulley and voila.

Definitely bear proof, as I have at least one that roams my property and he doesn't even bother. My garbage, on the other hand, gets destroyed.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics and post them. At the very least I'll go take some as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back