PEAX Equipment

TAG information

Hi everyone,

I am just trying to gain some much needed knowledge on how the Tag systems work in Wyoming.

Here in Pa. we buy one buck tag for whitetail deer and that tag is good for the entire state and the only things you need to keep in mind from unit to unit are the required point restrictions, but our doe tags are specific for the unit you would like to harvest the doe in.

So, in Wyoming are deer tags specific to each unit or can they be used state wide. Is there a difference between a mule deer tag and a whitetail tag? Also, what is the benefit of getting a General tag over the other tags?

If anyone could shed some light on these questions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Start here: http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/hunting-1000045.aspx

All non-res deer licenses must be drawn through the application process. Apps are due March 15. For deer, the state is broken up into regions denoted with letters (A,B,C, etc.) Within those regions there are units that have numeric classifications (100,101, etc.). So there are general deer licenses for the regions (General Region A for example) - but also specific unit-only permits where the general region tag does not apply.

There are tags for buck, whitetail-only, doe-fawn, etc. Look at this years deer regulations to see all of those.

You really have to dig into the regs for the area of the state you are looking to hunt. good luck, you have plenty of time to get it all figured out.

I also am from Pa. trying to figure out the tags for Wyoming and Montana. SmallTownArcher8 send me a pm and maybe we can help each other out.

The concept of a statewide deer tag is an Eastern/Midwestern one. Out west, most tags fall into two categories. One is a tag that is good just for a very specific geographic zone. Another is a general tag that is good outside of all the specific geographic areas set aside.

The benefit for having dozens of geo zones is that with all the public land you need a way to make sure there are not too many people all hunting in small area and that some people are hunting in areas they might not hunt otherwise which would hamper keeping deer within population ranges for healthy herds.

Each state sets its own rules and zones so once you understand one state, say WY, then you may not be any closer to understanding MT or AZ, etc.

There are deadlines to apply for tags, sometimes there are hunter ed requirements, there are sometimes preference or bonus points that can greatly impact your odds for drawing tags, etc.

If you only want to hunt one state out west then you can get up to speed by reading the proclamation hunting booklet and asking questions here. Then, set a reminder so you do not miss the filing deadline.

If you want to hunt multiple states out West then consider spending $100 for Huntin' Fool or the $70 or so for the Eastman mags. Those publications each focus on the nuances of applying and drawing tags out West.

Thanks for the information guys! I have been doing a lot of research on the Wyoming game and fish website and just thought I would understand some of the concepts alittle better coming from a hunters stand point. I currently have 4 Elk points but no deer points for Wyoming, so I may try and draw a deer tag without a point if that's possible, if not i'll just get my point for this year.

Thanks for the information guys! I have been doing a lot of research on the Wyoming game and fish website and just thought I would understand some of the concepts alittle better coming from a hunters stand point. I currently have 4 Elk points but no deer points for Wyoming, so I may try and draw a deer tag without a point if that's possible, if not i'll just get my point for this year.

Drawing odds are on WY F&G as well. there are many general region deer tags you can draw with 0 pts and go hunting.

I've done some looking into preference points in WY, and it's not encouraging. This link shows the breakdown by species and numbers of points:

Point Totals going into 2015

I'll use antelope as an example, because that's what I researched the most. Right now there are 44,454 non-residents in Wyoming with between 1 and 8 preference points. I personally have 2 points, which puts me behind 20,948 other hunters and tied with an additional 8,982. This next link shows the antelope units and seasons:

2014 Antelope Units and Seasons

There is an asterisk beside all the units where accessing public land is difficult. Those units still have public land, but it may be landlocked by private land, or over-pressured by other hunters. The units without an asterisk are more desirable, because getting access to public land is easier. This last link is the draw results for 2014 antelope:

2014 Antelope Pref Point Draw

I made a spreadsheet with each unit, whether or not there's good public access, the tag quota, and how many preference points it takes to draw. These are my conclusions:

1) 43 out of 51 units with an asterisk (hard to get public access) can be drawn with 0 points. There's no need to buy points for these units (except maybe 1 the year before you go, for peace of mind that you'll draw your first choice unit). Call the WG&FD for a landowner list, pay for access to private land, and go hunting every year (or two at the worst).

2) 66 out of the 68 units that do have good public access required at least 1 preference point to draw. The average required to draw was 4 points in the regular draw.

3) The 68 good-access units had a total quota of 2,225 tags for non-residents, including the higher-priced special draw and the 25% in each draw that are allocated randomly.

4) Assuming the 44,454 nonresidents with points are chasing after the 2,225 tags with good access (because you can go to private land with no points), that's about 20 years worth of good tags that are already spoken for by people with points already.

5) 2014 was a down year for tag quotas to let the herd recover from previous hard winters. In the future tags might go back up, so hopefully it won't take as long to draw a tag as my point #4 suggests.

So basically, buying points for antelope is pointless for someone who hasn't already started. You can draw a tag with no points in many units (although you may need to pay for private land access). If you want a tag somewhere with easy access to public land, you're starting at the back of a very long line. I haven't researched deer or elk yet, but I think it will follow a similar pattern. General tags will be easy to draw with 0-2 points, and limited entry units will require a long wait (especially starting from scratch).

Last edited:
It's really not that bad. Many of those 44k pointholders are just buying points, not applying for tags. The majority that are applying for tags are accumulating 2 or 3 and cashing them in on a decent area, not holding out for a glory unit, so there is a lot of turnover.

With 2 points, you could definitely go on a good hunt next year without paying a trespass fee. Pay the special drawing price, and you have even more options.

I agree with LCH for now, but I think as time goes by people will realize the futility of holding out for a glory unit. Then you'll have guys with 5-8 points baling out and burning points on the decent units. This will cause point inflation down the line.

And LCH is right about the special draw - the average points required is under 2.5 for all good-public access units, compared to 4 in the regular draw. That means drawing the same tag 1-2 years quicker, or having more options sooner.

Alot of those pronghorn units with an asterisk have accessible private lands. I encourage you to look into the Private Land Public Wildlife programs in WY. Lots of mostly private land units have Walk-In and Hunter Management Areas. While it does look bleak at first blush, as was pointed out by the others it's really not as bad as it looks.

Alot of those pronghorn units with an asterisk have accessible private lands. I encourage you to look into the Private Land Public Wildlife programs in WY. Lots of mostly private land units have Walk-In and Hunter Management Areas. While it does look bleak at first blush, as was pointed out by the others it's really not as bad as it looks.

I agree with this. I accidentally put in for 52-2 without realizing it had the asterisk next to it because. like you, I was looking at draw odds. After getting the tag and looking at maps I realized there was more public land in the southern half of that zone than I could possibly hunt in the 3-4 days I planned to hunt it. While stumbling through the zone I actually drove up on a walk-in area and filled my tag.

DWM said: "the average points required is under 2.5 for all good-public access units,". I would ask yourself what you consider to be a "good" public access unit. Do you just want to see and shoot an antelope or are you going to be holding out for a B&C trophy? There are antelope in every zone and they are of the same difficulty to hunt (for a first timer) as midwestern whitetails. As the guy in the grocery store in Saratoga told me when I said I was going antelope hunting "Those things are like rabbits, they're everywhere".

If you're like me and don't mind driving thru spotty pvt land to access more public land than you can hunt in a season, killing multiple antelope every year, never using a point or paying a trespass fee, do some research and forget about that little * in the season outline.

If you're starting today and willing to wait for unit 59 or 60, grab a cup of coffee 'cause you'll be a while.

DWM said: "the average points required is under 2.5 for all good-public access units,". I would ask yourself what you consider to be a "good" public access unit. Do you just want to see and shoot an antelope or are you going to be holding out for a B&C trophy? There are antelope in every zone and they are of the same difficulty to hunt (for a first timer) as midwestern whitetails. As the guy in the grocery store in Saratoga told me when I said I was going antelope hunting "Those things are like rabbits, they're everywhere".

I was using "good" to mean good public access, AKA no * beside the hunt code. I was just looking at the math of the point system - the units where people are chasing after tags only amount to a couple thousand tags a year, and there are 44,000 people with points. At the same time, the half of the units with an asterisk had a NR quota of 18,800 tags (regular and special, draw and random combined).

Basically what I'm saying is buying points for someone starting from scratch seems unnecessary. You'll never catch up to the thousands in front of you who seem to be going after a limited pool of tags, but you can hunt a unit with an asterisk without any points at all. You just might have to pay for access, or deal with more hunting pressure.

^^Agree! In my requests for hunting information from people on this site, one of the many pieces of information given to me was "just get a tag and go hunt". I think that was one of the more important things now that I look back on it.

I've been hunting antelope every year in WY as a NR. Never on a blue chip unit but I don't really care and have a blast every year filling my tags.

Non-trophy areas can be super fun especially if you are relatively new to antelope hunting like me and learning about how to hunt them, judge them, etc. on the fly.

Do your research and apply for tags you can draw then get out and hunt. You'll learn more with a few days in the field then you ever will sitting at home.

"You just might have to pay for access, or deal with more hunting pressure."

You ever hunt one of those units? There's a wide range of "available access" for those units.

Last edited:
No, only hunted pronghorn in CO so far, got one on public land this year. I have a 2 year old son and another son due in March. I'm going to take a couple years off while my kids are young. I have 2 points in WY for antelope now, so I'll use them when I get to 4 or 5 and have the chance to go back. After that I'll be focusing on * units where I can hunt without waiting for a tag.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back