Caribou Gear Tarp

Tactics for elk hunting after the snow falls

Southern Elk

This is my first winter here in MT. Up until now, I have mostly archery hunted. The forecast calls for up to 2 feet of snow in the mountains over the next few days. What tips can you give the new guy for hunting once the snow gets deep? What's your method of hunting this time of year?

Yes, glass for tracks is a really good start. Also, if the temperatures stay low they will stay in the open longer to get enough feed to stay warm.

If you are hunting heavy timber I have had good luck with following tracks I have cut if they are pretty damn fresh. This can take a while but is very lethal to the elk if you take your time and keep you eye open and wind right.

These PMs are killing me. I’m trying to learn too! I’m not sure where the OP is but here in Northwestern Montana there are super thick woods, so I’ve always struggled finding good places where I can glass. Heading out this weekend to try again so great timing!

I’d try driving the roads at 2-3 AM in northwest Montana until daybreak and locate some tracks. I don’t elk hunt in Northwest MT, but with all the roads it increases the odds in finding elk. I run bobcats in December and usually find a few bull tracks along the backroads while driving around.

It all depends on where you are hunting, and how much snow. In your neck of the woods, 2 feet up high will be enough to trigger some migrational movements, but not necessarily enough to put the bulls on the winter range. You then need to find the transition areas and focus on those. Think southwest facing aspects and scattered timber/sagebrush meadows.

Like others have said, glass as much, if not more for tracks and feed craters as you do for elk. Elk will still bed in the timber and on northern aspects when it is cold and there is lots of snow, but typically they won't be too far from their feeding areas.

When there is snow I like to cover ground until I find evidence there are or have been elk in the area now or very recently. Then, I slow down and hunt more methodically, either still hunting timber and/or sitting on broken timber/meadows in the afternoon and evening.

Good snow is a rifle-hunting elk hunter's best friend. Cover ground one way or another until you cut a track. Follow it and watch the wind. When the track starts to wander and weave, he's looking for a place to bed down. Keep your rifle in your hands and your thumb on the safety. Look for antler tips above the brush and deadfall. When he stands up, snake a round between the tree trunks into the ribcage.

That's how it is supposed to work, anyway. Sometimes it does.

Good snow is a rifle-hunting elk hunter's best friend. Cover ground one way or another until you cut a track. Follow it and watch the wind. When the track starts to wander and weave, he's looking for a place to bed down. Keep your rifle in your hands and your thumb on the safety. Look for antler tips above the brush and deadfall. When he stands up, snake a round between the tree trunks into the ribcage.

That's how it is supposed to work, anyway. Sometimes it does.

This tactic does work.
We snuck up behind this guy dozing in his bed after a good snowfall. The snow was very soft and quiet and we were able to get to within 20 yards of him. My son ended up passing on him.

5ce08d6b-d0eb-4c1f-8e04-9d08b950bb7f_opt.jpg

Southern Elk- I'm looking for tracks now and will keep you posted on any findings. Picked up a foot overnight and still snowing.

My biggest problem is I can spot Elk all over the place but cant hunt them! The beauty and curse of living on a reservation as a non tribal member. 1.5 hour drive in all directions to hunt. Or a nice little hike over the Missions. :)

This tactic does work.
We snuck up behind this guy dozing in his bed after a good snowfall. The snow was very soft and quiet and we were able to get to within 20 yards of him. My son ended up passing on him.

View attachment 76255

That is pretty amazing! I got to within approx. 50 yards following a wet game trail through some ugly thickness. He found me before I found him. Followed him with my scope though never took the shot. I should have...

Grats on the stalk!

My biggest problem is I can spot Elk all over the place but cant hunt them! The beauty and curse of living on a reservation as a non tribal member. 1.5 hour drive in all directions to hunt. Or a nice little hike over the Missions. :)

Yeah but having no elk tag in my pocket makes me envious of the bird hunting where you are at!

Back