T Bone's firs elk....in CO

T Bone

Last week I became a CO resident! There were a few leftover cow tags left so I decided to make a go of it this morning with a good friend named Terry. These were the dregs of elk season...tags that no one wanted....hunting elk was way better than other options, so off we went.

After a couple hours of driving we arrived to the area. Wide open oak brush country with knee deep snow everywhere.

Immediately we started seeing elk.

Short ones, fat ones, skinny ones, brown and tan ones. We saw small bulls, big bulls, cows, and calves.

We had to keep in mind that it was tough going post-holing through the deep snow so decided to pass some distant stalkable cows with hopes of finding one in an easier location.

After some diligent glassing we located two cows bedded in an ideal spot. We planned a stalk with hopes we'd pop up in front of them for a 250ish yard shot. We looped and trudged through the snow hoping they'd stay put over the next 30 min.

We peeked over the ridge to find them still bedded, completely oblivious to us. I used my pack as a rest and laid prone in the snow and waited for the cow to stand... she was bedded with her rump toward me, so all I could see was rump patch, neck and head. we waited and waited and waited.... They didn't care if we were there or not.

I was getting really cold, so a thought came to mind.....why not just put the Kung Fu grip on here with a bullet through the neck? I'd shot this rifle once in the last year, so why not! I called the shot, Terry watched from behind me. The 30-06 cracked and she laid down her head.....simple as that.

This picture shows my pack and rifle right after the shot...She's in the middle of the opposite hillside.

picture.php

Here's a close up of my winter eats. She's a prime, fat cow in great condition.
100_1034.jpg

We quartered and loaded her up in the packs and started punching through the snow to the ridge top. From there we used my kids' snow sled to move it back to the car.

First big game animal in CO. First time hunting elk in Dec. First time using a sled to transport game. I like Colorado!

Here's Terry a.k.a. Oak here on Hunttalk sledding out the quarters. Thanks for the fun day and the help! No that's not a drill rig in the back ground.....it's where a UFO landed the week prior.
100_1039.jpg

Great hunt. Did you really say that you took it to the car? if so what kind of car to you drive in that snow?:D

Way to keep Oak busy. I somehow think he's getting credit for a future pack out he'll be calling you for:D

Way to keep Oak busy.

From the looks of it, Oak hasn't been staying nearly busy enough. :eek:

Why didn't you take a picture of me postholing with front and hind quarters in my Crewcab?

It was a fun day. Elk hunting this time of year is a bit like swatting flies, but it's still fun. T Bone made a really great shot.

TysonsCow1.jpg

Did you really say that you took it to the car? if so what kind of car to you drive in that snow?:D

Yes, I said car. I'm not proud of it, but I drive a crappy, old, girly, too-small-for-me Toyota 4 runner. When financially practical, I'll get a newer Tundra, until then, this will do. Hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. I also shoot a girly rifle, but I like it.

Why didn't you take a picture of me postholing with front and hind quarters in my Crewcab?

Because I was struggling to stay on my feet with that heavy load.

Last edited:
Nice job guys. Looks like fun.

Oak;
If we didn't add a little holiday insulation wintertime wouldn't be nearly so enjoyable. :D

Looks like a great freezer full of meat and a good way to spend a Decmber day, congrats.

Great hunt. Did you really say that you took it to the car? if so what kind of car to you drive in that snow?:D

STORY TIME !!!!

So T-bone was gonig through a check station in his car. Literally a car at that time. And a dude was checking in a bear. Like the standard Idaho 70# black bear. Tyson looked at him and said "Nice coon you shot there". The guy looked at him and said "Nice Truck you got there".

Ahhhh memories ;)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back