Swivel Stud Sizes

R3B3

Do swivel stud openings come in different sizes?
I inherited a Winchester Model 70 7mm Express and the sling that fits my other rifles doesn't fit this one.
As I've looked around at swivel studs, I can't find anywhere that specifies the size of the opening.
Do I need to replace the studs, or are there slings that fit smaller stud openings?

I didn't know Winchester ever chambered the actual 7 Express. Very cool. Is it a featherweight?

May possibly be permanent sling stud, and the metal hoop is missing. The hoop size may be bigger than the quick detach swivel stud.
523907.jpg

You should be able to replace it with a standard stud. If the mounting hole is bigger, glue the new one in with accraglass or the like. Coat the screw with wax so you can get it out later.

Permanent sling stud. Hadn't thought of that.
This is what is mounted now (sorry for the crappy cell pics):

Attachments

• swivel stud 1.jpg
    swivel stud 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,478
  • swivel stud 2.jpg
    swivel stud 2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,439
Is it a custom shop, super grade, or custom?

More pictures please!

If its a super grade you should be able to get a replacement stud that will fit the inletted hole. If I had to guess, its missing the hoop.

I'm pretty gun naive so you'll have to tell me what I came in to.
I was mistaken about it being a model 70, there is no model number, just a Winchester stamp.
In addition to the .280, I received a Winchester (no model stamp) .25-06 with a walnut stock, a Remington 788 .222 rem, and a 12 gauge Beretta.

Attachments

• DSC02374.jpg
    DSC02374.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,521
  • DSC02376.jpg
    DSC02376.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,510
  • DSC02377.jpg
    DSC02377.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,508
  • DSC02379.jpg
    DSC02379.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,500
You came into a real dog... :D. I'll take it off your hands. Looks like a pre64 M70 aftermarket barrel and not sure on the stock. Thats a real gem. The rest sound like nice ones as well.

First of all, nice rifle. Beautiful wood. As for the sling studs, you should be able to use standard swivels. The "hole" is standardized with some limited exceptions. The swivel itself does come in different sizes, 1" and 11/4" to accomodate different sling widths. Either way they will work with your posts, super grade or not. Sometimes however, they do not always want to fit. They will but finishes on the components can be just enough. Some oil and wiggling usually fixes that but some sanding on the swivel, not the guns posts, may be in order.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back