Switching Ammunition: Predictions?

BarnesTTSX and Hornady GMX 80 gr. bullets shoot to almost to the same point of aim in my .243. YMMV.

I discovered this last weekend myself. I had sighted my rifle in for GMX 120 gr Outfitter in 6.5 CM. Was planning on using that load this deer season. I heard so many good things about Barnes Vortex TTSX that I had to give them a try. From a cold barrel, like you, I found POA/POI for both rounds was the same, so shockingly, I didn't have to make any adjustments. As my barrel got warmer though, GMX groups opened up significantly more compared to TTSX. My rifle seems to like the TTSX better, so that's what I'm going to go with.

If you are big game hunting and you need to worry about barrel heat and accuracy, things have gone bad already. mtmuley
Hey, you’ve got a chance for a lotta shootin’ with all those antlerless tags they give us here in WI! 😁Between my WI bow, WI gun and two MT muley tags I think I can shoot...too many deer.

If you are big game hunting and you need to worry about barrel heat and accuracy, things have gone bad already. mtmuley

Lol. I guess I should have stated I was just plinking and experimenting. That said, we've all read similar comments here and on other boards, that some rifles will have the "propensity" to favor one type of ammo over another. If hunting, and shooting from a cold barrel, agreed. It won't or shouldn't, make any discernible difference. If I get to the point where I'm getting the barrel hot, I'd be employing the spray and pray technique and would be better served by switching to an AR platform 😜

Have had two rifles that had two different results changing bullet's, all handloads though. 1968 I thinkthat was the year, got a new Ruger M-77 in 7x57. Thing didn't shoot very well at all so did a bunch of shifting bullet's looking for something that would shoot. At last tried a Hornady 154gr RN and got it down to almost an inch and settled on it. Just for kicks shot that bullet against the 154gr Spire Point and the 154gr RN shot a couple inch's lower to the center of a group, had a hard time believing it. About 1995 I had my 6.5x06 made and set up to shoot 140gr Nosler Partitions. Got a good load worked up, about 3/4" at 100yds, best group I ever shot with a partition. To save some money breaking in and practicing, I switched to 140gr Hornady Inter lock's. Only thing I changed was the bullet and it shot the same size group's to the same point of impact. Only way your gonna know the difference in how a rifle shoot's changing bullet's is, obviously, to shoot it. Would not surprise me if two like factory loads from the same company shot different. Just a guess as I haven't shot any factory ammo in many years! But different lot number's if that matter's!

Would not surprise me if two like factory loads from the same company shot different. Just a guess as I haven't shot any factory ammo in many years! But different lot number's if that matter's!

I'm not able to right now, but this is precisely why I plan to roll my own as well eventually. I'm concerned that whatever factory ammo I use, there's always the possibility a manufacturer may switch to a different powder, which may cause a change in POA/POI. I assume though, the same can happen if you roll your own if the powder manufacturer changes their recipe, but I'm thinking that's a less likely scenario.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back