Swift A frame vs Nosler Partition

markwilks

I’m still getting pumped up for my first and probably only Elk hunt of my life next year. I’m 55 and live in Michigan. Doubt I’ll ever get to go to Colorado again for another hunt so choosing the right ammo is important. I’ve ordered a couple boxes of 160 grain Partitions from Nosler for my 7 mm Rem Mag. The Swift A Frame has got my interest. Would I be gaining much by using the A frame? When you only get one chance to ever kill a Elk in your life it makes choosing the right ammo crucial. Thanks.

I think either would be fine on an elk. Nowadays, your choice might depend on what you can find in stock. I shot a cow with a 150 gr Nosler Partition out of a 7mm RM. The bullet did not exit; however, she dropped in her tracks and the bullet looked just like one of the bullets in Nosler’s advertisements. From the two animals I have shot with Partitions, I get the impression that the front core comes apart quickly, causing alot of damage near the entrance wound.

I don’t have any experience with Swift 7mm bullets but I shot a 6x7 bull with a muzzleloader loaded with a Swift bullet. The bull was facing me so I took a frontal chest and I recovered the bullet in the hindquarter.

BTW: When I emailed Swift about load data for a 460 S&W, the owner called me back and talked to me for a long time.

Swift bullet from bull:

79E2E0F8-F6F8-46C4-9341-2401BA7768A8.jpeg

I killed my first bull in 1967 with a partition. Shot a bull last year with a partition, shot 10 critters last month in Africa with Partitions. I tried swift A frames once, didn't shoot well out of my rifle so I didn't change.
Choose the one that shoots best. You've got three maybe four months until your hunt you better be out walking hard or running five days a week. The shooting part only happens if you can get to the elk. Good luck, enjoy the adventure I look forward to the story.

You are going to be more than fine with the partition. or A-frame. Or Accubond. Or Scirocco. Or TTSX. Or any number of premium bullets. And most cup and core through the ribs.

The bigger issue is saying this is your one and only elk hunt. Crazy talk.
Yep these are fine examples of good bullets

work on leg and core strength , those mountains are brutal
on us flat earth guys

They are basically built the same. However, the Swift A-Frame is a bonded bullet where the Nosler Partition is not. At closer ranges, the A-frame will probably hold together a little better. I have shot Partitions and A-frames out of my .340 Weatherby and did not notice any difference in the accuracy or performance on the elk. I would say whichever shoots the best (accuracy wise) out of your rifle.

Both have worked fine for me over 50 times, any failure was not a bullet problem, ever. Slight nod to the A frame on making a hole in the dirt on the far side. Now worry about what matters lose weight and get stronger, but bullets are way more fun!

ONLY elk hunt??? You are just getting to prime elking age, as a NR it has more to do with $ than any other factor.

You are going to be more than fine with the partition. or A-frame. Or Accubond. Or Scirocco. Or TTSX. Or any number of premium bullets. And most cup and core through the ribs.

The bigger issue is saying this is your one and only elk hunt. Crazy talk.
Thanks! I hope I get the opportunity to do it again.

Took my last cow bison with an A Frame, 30 cal 165 gr. I was impressed on the performance but I have used them before.
The partition will be fine too but like stated, see what your rifle likes.

Work on your cardio too so you can settle down quickly for the shot, with S-3's advice.

I have shot moose with both !
But the Swift A frame is a very Prem bullet and bonded love the accuracy/ retention only recovered 1 bullet from a moose 97% weight retention.

Elk that 160gr Nosler Accubond would be excellent with RL 22 or IMR 4350 in the 7RM.

Attachments

• 02A25E59-9F3A-4A2D-AFC4-EA54B4215786.jpeg
    02A25E59-9F3A-4A2D-AFC4-EA54B4215786.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 9574D956-3FCC-4A8D-9BA5-5D7587B06A3A.jpeg
    9574D956-3FCC-4A8D-9BA5-5D7587B06A3A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I’m still getting pumped up for my first and probably only Elk hunt of my life next year. I’m 55 and live in Michigan. Doubt I’ll ever get to go to Colorado again for another hunt so choosing the right ammo is important. I’ve ordered a couple boxes of 160 grain Partitions from Nosler for my 7 mm Rem Mag. The Swift A Frame has got my interest. Would I be gaining much by using the A frame? When you only get one chance to ever kill a Elk in your life it makes choosing the right ammo crucial. Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about either, I have killed elk with both along with 7 Mauser and 140 gr partition and accubonds, 270 with 130 accubond so shoot what is the most accurate. You can have confidence in terminal ballistics if you do your job. I suggest the more important thing is practice from actual hunting positions, like prone off your pack, sitting etc. and shoot way more than 2 boxes even if not with the exact premium ammo. If you reload get whatever 160 gr 7mm bullets that are available and use that to get comfortable, do the final sight check with what you will be using. My 7mm mag always shot similar weight bullets to similar POI, the best, Accubond under 3/4 inch and the Remington core-lockt at 1 1/2, plenty close for practice. Keep it simple, 2 inch high at 100 should be a point blank range to 350 or so.

Here's an interesting and revealing comparison.
16796733782526107185454807676417.jpg
Right bullet is .375 H&H from the Cape buffalo I shot in 2019. A single frontal shot through the heart at 110 yards. It went less than twenty yards and tipped over. I THOUGHT I was loaded with Barnes bullets and frankly had forgot that it was recovered. Only discovered it today in my toiletries bag. It must be from that buff as I have only killed two animals with that gun and the next two bullets are definitely from the second buffalo. The slug is way too big to be shot from my 30-06. It is clearly not a Barnes copper bullet as there's a lot of exposed lead (after cleaned vigorously with Brasso). Must be some kind of cup and core and I would guess 300 gr. That bullet essentially disintegrated. Now that I think about it, they recovered it from pelvis. Sufficient to kill that huge animal almost on the spot.

The next two bullets were from 2021 buffalo. That one didn't die on the spot but he didn't go far. Both well placed bullets (first one on the fly at 60 yards). Retention was amazing. Those were 250 gr Barnes TSX.

The two bullets on the left are 165 gr Partitions from animals shot during my 2019 trip. Far left was taken from blue wildebeest hide on opposing side shoulder with entry square through the other shoulder. Maybe 100 yards. That animal died instantly. The other 30-06 bullet was retrieved from a gemsbuck shot incoming in the chest at very close range. It almost ran me over. Second shot also through the heart as she ran by almost knocked her off her feet. Two more strides and she piled up. I didn't see them skin the wildebeest but I was there when the hide was pulled from gemsbuck. Quite a mess!

For something you want to take home and eat, Partition may be on the wasteful side, especially at close to moderate range. How bad do you want bang-flop? Bad enough to chew on lead in your hamburger? At long distance I would think the Partition bullet needs to have plenty of gas left in the tank for sufficient penetration. It's bound to lose a lot of energy during disintegration.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back