Caribou Gear

Swap hunts?

Crossbowguy

Anyone on here ever do a hunt swap? you take someone on a hunt in your home state and try to get them on the game and they return the favor by going to their state and they put you on the game?

I think that this was discussed a long time ago. Much centered around the fact that this might come under the definition of "guiding" (without a license). An interesting concept.

good luck to all
the dog

Depending on the state, it may just be a matter of providing access to a place to hunt.

Yes, I've done two successful swap hunts and planning a third this year. Sharing experiences with hunting friends around the world is a real adventure and recommended.

Last edited:
I'd love to do one but not too many people wanting to swap for a NC whitetail hunt :)

I think the thing is finding equivalent hunts... my fathernlaw has been trying to swap a hunt on his place in CO for mule deer, with a voucher, for a whitetail deer hunt back east of equivalent caliber of animals... 160+ mulie for potential at a 120+ whitetail but he has never found anyone to play ball. Apparently for how much easterners complain about tags, and access in the west they wont even engage in a conversation about hunting their spot.

Never done a true hunt swap but I met a guy through work that I went and hunted whitetail with him in Ohio (no guiding, we were both hunting just in the same area) and he came and went with us on a gator hunt. In MS non residents can't get a gator tag but they can come on the hunt with you so my buddy just came down to experience it.

No money, no guiding. Just hunting together and it was a lot of fun. Hopefully going back to Ohio with him next year.

I think the thing is finding equivalent hunts... my fathernlaw has been trying to swap a hunt on his place in CO for mule deer, with a voucher, for a whitetail deer hunt back east of equivalent caliber of animals... 160+ mulie for potential at a 120+ whitetail but he has never found anyone to play ball. Apparently for how much easterners complain about tags, and access in the west they wont even engage in a conversation about hunting their spot.

I would try to try like heck to put your dad on a nice northern NY buck!

Just my experience from hunting heavily in TN, NC, and SC but I would think the issue is not that people dont want to take him up on that offer but many just dont have a reliable source to put him on a 120+ whitetail for which to trade and commit to. I've hunted heavily for 8 years in these three states and have only killed 1 that would meet that criteria and have access to about 1000 acres spread between these three states. Public land is heavily pressured here and private land is normally in small tracts so not too much success of QDMA due to other landowners using the if its brown its down method. The ones I have seen killed that are that large have normally been by chance or on quota hunts that have limited entry and antler restrictions like TN's Presidents island.

I know there are exceptions to what I said above but the guys I've met that have those types of properties are perfectly content just to stay home and hunt their own land.

He could try for a public land tahr hunt in New Zealand instead :)

That's probably because there's bucks that said landowner/leaser have been chasing for years that they don't want someone else to kill.
Not gonna lie, I'd probably be a little sore if someone shot this buck before I could

497653345.jpg

I had a bunch of guys from NY come out and go Elk and Mulie hunting with me a couple times. Went back east and got a turkey hunting with them. They got several deer and a spike bull. It may not have been an even exchange of assets, but the lifelong friendships make up for it. If you get a chance, do it. Pay for your own gas and meals. You are just a couple of buddies hunting together.

How far east is he looking to go?

***This license is required before other privileges (i.e. bowhunting, muzzleloading & turkey permit) can be purchased.***

Resident Fee

Nonresident Fee

$22 (ages 16-69)
$5 (ages 70+)
$5 (ages 12-15)
$100 (ages 16+)
$5 (ages 12-15)

(Note: It is no longer necessary to purchase a separate bear tag when buying a hunting license.
Small game and big game hunting is now included in the annual hunting license for both
residents and nonresidents. These changes went into effect on February 1, 2014.
For more information, see 2014 Sporting Licenses Changes)

Additional Annual Hunting Privileges/Permit/Stamps (View residency qualifications)
An annual hunting license (above) must be purchased before purchasing the following privileges/stamps.

Type

Resident Fee

Nonresident Fee

Needed For

Bowhunting Privilege $15 (ages 16-69)
No fee (ages 70+)
$4 (ages 12-15)
$30 (ages 16+)
$4 (ages 12-15)
To know when you need
a privilege, permit or
stamp, visit the
Hunting Licenses/Privileges
Needed page.
Muzzleloading Privilege $15 (ages 14-69)
No fee (ages 70+)
$30 (ages 14+)
Turkey Permit $10 (ages 12+) $20 (ages 12+)
Harvest Information Program No fee (ages 12+) No fee
(must register in New
York even if registered
in another state)
Federal Duck Stamp
(External link) $25 (ages 16+)
Deer Management Permit $10 (ages 16+)
No fee (ages 12-15)
No fee (holders of lifetime sportsman
licenses purchased prior to
October 1, 2009) Harvesting antlerless
deer (antlers less than 3" long)
in select Wildlife Management Units.
Permits for Hunter's with Disability No fee Using specialized equipment
to aid in discharging a
bow, or to discharge a
firearm from a motorized vehicle.

Valid Dates of Annual Licenses/Privileges
•Annual hunting licenses and privileges are valid from September 1 through August 31 each year.
•The Harvest Information Program and Federal Duck Stamp is valid July 1 through June 30 annually.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back