Surprise in the beaver trap

Yeah, perhaps. I saw that too after I posted, but maybe like many 'merican's he hunts and traps in different places. Probably not though

What is an otter worth these days?

Yeah, perhaps. I saw that too after I posted, but maybe like many 'merican's he hunts and traps in different places. Probably not though

What is an otter worth these days?

Market for short fur is pretty poor. Last NAFA auction $20 average $48 high.

I caught 2 in one day. I tanned the other one myself. It turned out pretty good but stiff as a board for some reason.

If the hide is stiff like a board you have to physically break down the leather. I did a coyote myself one time. I turned the fur to the inside and work the exposed leather over the edges of a 2 x 4 along with applying a bit of mineral oil to help soften the leather. It takes a lot of time and work. It turned out great in the end and was well worth it in the change of appearance in the way the fur lays (more natural). You can also tumble the hides in a dryer with no heat and put in objects for tumble media that will not tear the hide in the process if you have access to a dryer that the heating element does not work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back