Surplus killing in Wyoming

There are a few of us who understand wolves, and what they are capable of. Then, there are individuals who are completely absent in thought.

Living in Wisconsin and running a farm, it's been very apparent the damage that predators can cause on livestock as well as deer populations (elk in this case). It's unfortunate that in Wisconsin and Minnesota we have had our right to hunt these predators taken away, mainly due to people who have never even seen a wild wolf before.

In my case, Wisconsin, people from Madison/Milwaukee and large city areas are using their strength in numbers to stop the hunts because they don't/haven't/won't see the damage up close and personal and think wolves are "pretty".

Rant over.

Think of how often this happens outside of these feed grounds that no one has any idea about.

I imagine coming upon a meadow in the mountains where this had occurred a person could easily attribute it to winter kill rather than this "surplus killing".

It's also sad that I wasn't terribly shocked when reading this article it just seemed normal from an understanding of wolves. This also happens with livestock to my understanding.

There was a reason our forefathers trapped and shot as many wolves as they could.

If you leave those carcasses where they lay, the wolves would have had food for a long time. Stacking and removing means they'll hunt again.

Feedgrounds: for wolves too. ;)

Think of how often this happens outside of these feed grounds that no one has any idea about.

I imagine coming upon a meadow in the mountains where this had occurred a person could easily attribute it to winter kill rather than this "surplus killing".

It's also sad that I wasn't terribly shocked when reading this article it just seemed normal from an understanding of wolves. This also happens with livestock to my understanding.

When it happens with livestock the wolves meet with a far more different outcome.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...cle_3c26a960-a6e8-5e86-8fe8-a08282129e21.html

If it's rare for this to happen on feed grounds it's rarer for it to happen naturally.

It is rare, and every time it happens, it makes the news.

I also don't understand why the carcass's weren't left alone???

Don't understand why people are getting so twisted up over a bunch of dead welfare elk. Those have to be some seriously feed conditioned elk to stand around and watch wolves kill 19 of there buddies before they left the country.

Don't understand why people are getting so twisted up over a bunch of dead welfare elk. Those have to be some seriously feed conditioned elk to stand around and watch wolves kill 19 of there buddies before they left the country.

You know, it's funny you say that because that was the same thing I was thinking when I read the article. I've never been to a WY feedground, but I would think the wolves would come in, maybe take an elk or two, and the rest of the herd would get the hell out of there. Is this not the case? Would the elk really stick around and watch 19 of their herd members get taken out? Winter conditions restricting movements?

I am no wolf advocate, but it is pretty obvious that those stupid elk STILL have not acclimated to having the killing machines around. Wolves need to be tightly controlled, but they were just doing what they do.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back