Surgery question

Mudranger1

Has anyone delt with a scoliosis surgery before. Just found the Dr wants to back surgery on my twelve year old little girl. Pm if you want or post it up doesn't matter.
Thanks
Cliff

My brother had scoliosis surgery about 10 years ago. I know it is a great ordeal but very worth it. My brother has 2 rods in his back. I have heard they have a newer more sophisticated surgery invented by an Arizona doctor. Your daughter will be fine.

Iwould have to agree with spook. I had it not too terribly when i was younger, but never was told about surgery. I was told if bad enough would be a brace which i never had, plus at that age she has a lot of growing left.

Well she already had over 30% curvature on her last MRI. This is the second dr and she thinks it is worse now so she is getting another MRI then we will have another consultation. Hillbilly what your brother had is what they are going to do. How old was he?

I was "diagnosed" with scholiosis when I was 17, the doctor gave me some exercises and stretches to do. However, those exercises/stretches were the complete opposite of what I should have been doing. Turns out I had bulging/herniated disks and very, very tight hamstrings. Went to a physical therapist, did back strengething exercises and also mobility stretches. Did them twice a day, took about 20 mintues each time, my pain was gone within a couple months. I ended up marrying that physical therapist as well :hump:

I would go for more opinions and definitely look into physical therapy/muscle retraining before surgery on the spine!!

A friend's granddaughter was diagnosed with a severe case of it at about the same age. Since the surgery she was a highschool cheerleader throughout HS and also dances and practices regularly in a dance troupe. You wouldn't know it's the same girl! If you would like the girl to write your daughter some encouraging words for support just PM me and I can see if she'll do so. I know of no reason why she wouldn't, for she's a really special young lady.

Mud, I think my brother was 14. He had 2 different curvatures over 30 degrees. The brace didn't work for him.

My 12 year old niece just had this surgery back in May. She had a severe case and they inserted 2 titanium (?) rods to straighten out her spine. They had this done at the University hopsital by someone that specializes in kids with this surgery. The first week she was at the hospital and was rough from what I hear. She is doing much better now and is learning how to get up out of bed straight rather than twisting. She also gained about 2 inches in height now that her spine is straightened.

Their first opinion was by a local ortho who didn't have much experience with scoliosis. They went to the speciality hospital and night and day difference in their comfort level with the surgery. As others have said, get some different opinions (even 3rd and 4th). There is some risks with the surgery but there are also risks with not doing anything.

Hope this turns out well for your daughter and family.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back