Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Supressor Thread Size

mxracer317

New to suppressors and feeling a little lost. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

- Put a Dead Air Nomad Ti or Thunderbeast Ultra 7 on a 300 WinMag. Direct thread mount.

My barrel is steel and is threaded for 1/2 x 28.

Thunderbeast said it's insufficient to run a 5/8 x 24 adapter and I risk blowing the suppressor off the barrel. They want me to send my rifle in and have it re-threaded, etc.

Dead Air said it's fine and not to worry with an adapter on 1/2 x 28 to 5/8 x 24 on a magnum.

Any gunsmith experts on here possibly knowing what I should believe for gospel?

Why not just get a different suppressor with the correct threads, adding an adapter puts a variable in the system that is not as consistent. Not a gunsmith though

Why not just get a different suppressor with the correct threads, adding an adapter puts a variable in the system that is not as consistent. Not a gunsmith though
I agree, but there are not many options for a lightweight suppressor that is threaded in that 1/2 x 28.

also, those are two very highly reputable cans.

I did not have luck with an adapter on a different setup, could have been the adapter, barrel, or suppressor. I couldn't rethread the barrel since there wasn't enough metal there. I opted to get a new rifle threaded for 5/8x24. I think that was the right move.

If the anything is off, you'll know pretty quick.

No prob. That is not an adapter but is the threaded mount insert. You don't want to use an adaptor plus a 5/8 threaded mount together because you are stacking tolerances. Kind of nice to have the 1/2x28 mount for using it on a smaller caliber rifle. I would caution that a 1/2" thread on a 30 cal rifle is kind of thin. I had a 28 Nosler with a lighter profile barrel threaded to 9/16x24, which worked but had huge POI shift (8") when I had the can mounted. You might want to buy an alignment rod to verify you won't get any baffle strikes.

What caliber is your rifle? If you go Dead Air, the insert mentioned above is the way to go unless you want QD.

What caliber is your rifle? If you go Dead Air, the insert mentioned above is the way to go unless you want QD.
300 WinMag. Spoke to someone at Silencershop, they also told me NOT to with that thread size. Dunno what to do! Maybe the thread insert will work, but a 300 WinMag has too much pressure??

That isn't a standard thread pitch for a 30 cal. If your barrel is cut that small you might not want to use a suppressor on it. There's not allot of meat on the barrel to support a can. Did you have the barrel threaded or did it come from the factory?

That isn't a standard thread pitch for a 30 cal. If your barrel is cut that small you might not want to use a suppressor on it. There's not allot of meat on the barrel to support a can. Did you have the barrel threaded or did it come from the factory?
Factory. Fierce Edge Steel barrel.

Probably just threaded for a brake. If you want to run a suppressor on that you might need to have it chopped and re-threaded to 5/8

It's not so much about the adapter in theory (there are plenty strong ones and sufficiently concentric ones), the problem is 1/2 threaded barrel with a .308 caliber bullet. In the minds of many gunsmiths, barrel mfgs and suppressor mfgs there is insufficient metal left at the end of a barrel with 1/2" thread & .308 caliber hole to safely mount a suppressor. And it is worse as power goes up - low risk 30-30, medium risk with .308Win, higher risk with 300 Magnums. I am sure there are guys that use the 1/2 muzzle break threading on .308 cal barrels for suppressors, but it is not sound from an engineering or safety perspective. Safe gun use should be about minimizing obvious and controllable risks - this is one.

Back