Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Suppressor Tax Stamp

seeth07

Does this mean my suppressor tax stamp application was finally approved? :) or do they just tease you by charging for it and still decide to wait months before sending it?

1596469458748.png

When did you apply?

Most likely its just telling you they took your money.

My first tax stamp was last year. Started in April 2019, $200 from my account end of April 2019, suppressor in hand March 2020. YMMV.

It would have been in May. Taken awhile for that charge to come through so I just figured that they did it when they approved it. However, I know its wishful thinking to think that getting the stamp approved in 4 months is not likely. My buddy did get his back in about 6 months though. I've also heard as high as 18 months.

It just means your process has begun. You will get the stamp in 4-12 months with 10 months being average lately. But I did get 1 in four months this spring - weird.

Well if it took them almost 3 months just to cash the check, I'm not worried lol The government always wants your money right away!

How do I get a suppressor permit?

The easiest way by far is to go to SilencerShop dot com and tie your account to one of their partnered local gun shops. Buy the silencer you want, pay for the tax stamp, do finger prints/photos at their digital kiosk at your local shop and sit back and wait. They keep it all on file and can repeat the process with the click of a button if you decide you want another. No need to visit sheriff or correspond with ATF directly.

Give serious thought to an NFA Trust as the purchaser before you buy. They even will generate the trust docs for you.

How do I get a suppressor permit?
Quite a few suppressor producers will walk you through the process when you are going to purchase one. There's a couple different ways. You can file a form 1 (ATF Form 5320.1) which is if you're going to make your own suppressor, SBR, SBS, AOW. This is usually faster than a form 4.

Form 4 (ATF Form 5320.4), is an application for transfer of an NFA item that is already produced. This can be applied for as an individual or as a trust. Suppressors/Machine Guns/SBR/SBS/AOW/Destructive Devices that are purchased require a form 4. There's a little more paperwork to file as a trust, and some people claim filing as a trust takes a little longer receiving approval from the ATF but I can't confirm any of that.

You send the relevant portions of the form to the ATF and the sheriff/chief in your location. You'll need 2 passport photos produced in the last year, 2 fingerprint cards on FBI Form FD-258, a check for $200 bucks ($5 I think for AOW items).

I dealt with a local gun shop that did a super job walking me through the whole process. They did all the work for me and really helped me with narrowing down the particular suppressor selection as well. I obviously haven't been able to use it yet so maybe I'll change my thoughts when I get complete garbage but I'm highly doubting that will be the case :)

I dealt with a local gun shop that did a super job walking me through the whole process. They did all the work for me and really helped me with narrowing down the particular suppressor selection as well. I obviously haven't been able to use it yet so maybe I'll change my thoughts when I get complete garbage but I'm highly doubting that will be the case :)
What did you order?

A dead air nomad 30 cal.
Very good choice - you will not be disappointed. I have one and it performs well. Don’t forget to get a high temp cover for the range. Probably not needed in the field (assuming you can get the kill in one or two shots;) ).

The easiest way by far is to go to SilencerShop dot com and tie your account to one of their partnered local gun shops. Buy the silencer you want, pay for the tax stamp, do finger prints/photos at their digital kiosk at your local shop and sit back and wait. They keep it all on file and can repeat the process with the click of a button if you decide you want another. No need to visit sheriff or correspond with ATF directly.

Give serious thought to an NFA Trust as the purchaser before you buy. They even will generate the trust docs for you.

Second the NFA Trust. Great way to streamline The process for silencers and all firearms if you want.

This is actually the first I've heard about this. Can you elaborate some more and provide a link to what your talking about?
After two or three shots these things are scorching hot 600+ degrees. That causes two problems. First you can burn yourself or damage equipment - with the cover you can still take off a hot supressor no problem. Second, the heat creates a horrible mirage right in front of your scope. The cover helps a lot.
There are two kinds. High temp cloth-type that wrap around and high temp silicon sleeves. I have both and don’t really have a preference. They run $50-$100.

A guy I know wants to sell me one used, but can’t cus I don’t have the permit. Can I still do my permit through that website? Originally I was told to get a form from my local sheriffs office and they acted like I was speaking Russian and told me to visit a website which I did and couldn’t find any of the proper info.

I'll send you a link to a site that covers that particular hurdle in a PM, since it is external. Bear in mind that each NFA stamp is per item, you have to apply for every purchase or build and they are tied directly to the item. It would be nice if a stamp was more like a license where you could buy whatever/whenever you want, but it is not that way at this time.

Last edited:
Back