Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Suppressor on Hunting Rifle

Barrel threading is the smallest obstical! If you get dimensions and thread, anyone with a lathe could do it honestly

Bezos sent me the Walker Earbuds yesterday....pretty slick, only lost one of those tiny A10 air zinc batteries on a perfectly clean wood floor while assembling.

Bezos sent me the Walker Earbuds yesterday....pretty slick, only lost one of those tiny A10 air zinc batteries on a perfectly clean wood floor assembling.

the Bluetooth ones? Which model?

they have rather sketchy reviews on Bezos's place.

the Bluetooth ones? Which model?

they have rather sketchy reviews on Bezos's place.

Base model NRR25db...non bluetoof

But in retrospect should've got the bluetooth for versatility....but 2x the price.

Last edited:
A big yes on using goood hearing protection! My advise is to take care of it. A lifetime of shooting rifles, shotguns and pistols resulted in pretty severe hearing loss in the high frequency ranges. I finally bought hearing aids when I couldn't hear elk bugle untill I got really close. Last week I bought my second set of hearing aids - $5k a pop. Even at that I still can't hear a lot of bugles that my son and girlfriend hear when we're hunting together. I'm 55 and have spent more than $10k on my hearing in the last six years and it's nowhere near back to normal. I have my first two supressors in jail. I too thought I was bulletproof.....

Gadget's screwed on to the end of a barrel drive me nut's. If you need a follow up shot it means you pretty much blew the first shot in which case either get closer, practice more or better yet both!

Barrel threading is the smallest obstical! If you get dimensions and thread, anyone with a lathe could do it honestly
Yes and no, when you live in BFE getting groceries can be an obstical haha. It most certainly can be done, but I would have to travel or ship a fair ways.

I like the ones with the battery more....if your hunting multiple days those little batteries don’t weigh much. I don’t know how you would recharge the other ones in the field.

I like the ones with the battery more....if your hunting multiple days those little batteries don’t weigh much. I don’t know how you would recharge the other ones in the field.
I bring a portable charger with usually for my cell or camera batteries. But 2 little batteries are easier to bring with!

Gadget's screwed on to the end of a barrel drive me nut's. If you need a follow up shot it means you pretty much blew the first shot in which case either get closer, practice more or better yet both!

Suppressors have everything to do with sound attenuation and nothing to do with follow up shots.

I killed a cow in an early season hunt with a suppressed 308.

First time I had ever shot anything suppressed.
Lack of sound was cool, better yet was the reduced recoil and being able to keep the elk in the scope picture.

It was obvious she was hit, which is good to know on dry ground.

Everyday elk hunting in the timber, not sure how it would work. Coyote hunting it might be a real plus.

Suppressors have everything to do with sound attenuation and nothing to do with follow up shots.
That depends on where you live and what you're permitted to hunt, not follow up shots (well maybe) but additional shots at more deer;)
But I agree, sound attenuation is the main reason we were allowed to start using them in the UK
Cheers
Richard

FWIW I use a suppressor. It adds weight and length but it’s worth it. So nice to shoot as much quieter and really no recoil. Most of the hunters I know use them here in New Zealand, but they are easy to get and cheaper than the US.

That depends on where you live and what you're permitted to hunt, not follow up shots (well maybe) but additional shots at more deer;)
But I agree, sound attenuation is the main reason we were allowed to start using them in the UK
Cheers
Richard

Sure, follow up shots are a possible side effect, but if that was the only benefit of suppression I for one wouldn't bother with them. The weight and length penalty are a pain, but 300wm and a bare muzzle near a hard surface hurts more.

Are you putting the ear buds in when you go out into the field for the day? Comfortable to wear all day?

Yes I wear them all day. For the pack in and out. It comes with multiple size inserts and stuff. Just play with them until you find the ones that fit comfortable.

I found I wanted them to slide in easy and they were good all day. Super tight fit sucked after a while.

Back