Caribou Gear Tarp

Suppressor on Hunting Rifle

That depends on where you live and what you're permitted to hunt, not follow up shots (well maybe) but additional shots at more deer;)
But I agree, sound attenuation is the main reason we were allowed to start using them in the UK
Cheers
Richard
As the owner of multiple silencers, I concur with the above statements. The sound reduction is the primary reason I got them, second they also give a slight reduction in felt recoil which is nice for people of smaller stature. I did miss a ground hog one time and it ran directly toward me to get away from the sound of the bullet impact. The second shot was where it needed to be. However, if this is your reason for getting a can on the end off your rifle then I don’t think its worth it. Your hearing is definitely worth protecting though. When people ask we why on earth I would spend $1,000 on a good rifle can my reply is always “Would you pay the $1,000 to get your hearing back if you were deaf”? For most people that is a no brainer...

Bought my first suppressor in January and had it on its first deer hunt in November. It’s already been involved with a few deer tags being filled. Now I’m looking at buying another for my smaller barreled guns

Attachments

• 3A5A140B-E6E9-4126-B3CB-6116AF163542.jpeg
    3A5A140B-E6E9-4126-B3CB-6116AF163542.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 27
I had to check zero on my rifle today and thought about this thread.
I took my 30-06, I zeroed at 100 yards, 180 grain Nosler Partition's
Just for reference, (I already knew this) with the sound moderator (suppressor) on it shot 2 1/2'' lower than without.
It is a lot more pleasant to use my 30-06 with it attached, but for me I prefer the balance of the rifle without it attached.
Cheers
Richard

I, personally, have no use for them. I might be tempted to try them, if they get it to where they are over-the-counter, with no bs ATF paperwork. I have had guys shoot them on my range and unless you shoot subsonic, there is still quite a crack. Except for shotgunning in a goose blind, I have never worn hearing protection while hunting, but then again, I have never seen the need for an ear-shattering muzzle break on the rifles that I shoot, either.

In my opinion its worth every penny to get a suppressor. I personally hate wearing ear pro while hunting. I feel like it blocks too much sound to wear them all the time and I typically dont want to add an extra movement when an animal comes out trying to put ear plugs in. It does make the rifle a little unbalanced but most of my shots are either from the prone when out west or from a treestand when hunting on the east coast so the balance isnt a huge deal unless I'm trying to take a free hand shot. Also the reduction in recoil on my rifle was surprising. I shoot a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 which had a decent kick. The limbsaver recoil pad tamed it a lot but the suppressor makes the recoil barely more than a 22lr. Thats not why I got it but was a nice benefit.

When i see a gun with a suppressor, i think the same thing as when i see a guy, barely big enough to ride a roller coaster at an amusement park, getting out of his jacked up diesel truck. Classic overcompensation

When i see a gun with a suppressor, i think the same thing as when i see a guy, barely big enough to ride a roller coaster at an amusement park, getting out of his jacked up diesel truck. Classic overcompensation
You just won the “Mostly likely the stupidest post on Hunt Talk” award with that one.

Ouch, felt that one right on my tiny family jewels.

That’s pretty dumb. Even for the internet.

I do both.

I hunt with and without. I just don’t have one for my 300wm, but 308 and below I use a can. I like not worrying about hearing loss, and those that say it doesn’t affect you either don’t do it a lot, or ignore medical facts. Multiple exposures over your life have proven documented effects.

It’s not that much extra weight (and yes I do hunts where I’m hiking 8+miles a day through bush as well). But I’m biased because I use them on issued rifles with rucks commonly weighing 80+ pounds, so I’m used to it.

“This swords heavy”
“Then grow stronger”

The argument that it overcompensates for poor skill is ridiculous, since I still shoot supersonic ammo, so it only makes it hearing safe. And to think it is “tacticool” or any other discussion point akin to that? Does that person put a scope on their rifle? Are they hunting with anything other than a knife and a grin? Reductio ad absurdum, sure. But to judge someone based off the rifle setup they use says more about the person judging than those being judged.

I say if you have one and it’s legal, go for it if you want. It provides no additional advantage over the animal. If you prefer using earpro or nothing at all, go for it. But if I’m hunting without one and I see someone using one, it doesn’t bother me.

Actually I prefer it, obviously, because it will mute (to a minor extent) another hunters report from their rifle, and in some small way improves my felt hunting experience.

But I suppose everyone has their feelings, like why wear camo? “My grandpa killed 87 elk an hour wearing cutoff jean shorts and a glow in the dark vest.”

Up in this part of the world, most people use supressors. And why not, they are an over the counter item here, no aplication, about the same cost as a good scopemount, they will reduse the abuse on your ears, cuts recoil in half, improves accuracy and if you cut your barrel acordingly the rifle handles great with a small supressor on the tip.

Rem seven 308 with 19inch barrel and a Atec Hertz 119 supressor, it builds 5 inches on the rifle overall length and weighs 320grams
20190916_173148.jpg

Few things on suppressors: First, they are fun. I have a YHM Sidewinder that I shoot on 9mm pistols and also on .22LR rifle and pistol. I squirrel hunt with it on a Ruger 10/22 and when multiple squirrels are around, the usually jump and run a few feet but they don't scurry back up the tree like with an unsuppressed rifle. Definitely better on your ears.

I also have a Daniel Defense DD Wave that is rated for up to a .300 Win Mag. I've never used it on my .300 because I haven't gotten the barrel threaded. I do use it on my Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon .308 because it came with a threaded barrel. It significantly reduces recoil and the rifle is more accurate with the suppressor. My SOP is that I attach the suppressor to the rifle when I get out of the truck because the rifle doesn't fit in the case with the suppressor attached. How other deer react all depend on the distance I'm shooting. If I take a 100 yard shot, the other deer run just like if I was shooting an unsuppressed rifle. However, when you start talking about 300+ yard shots, the suppression becomes a tactical advantage the deer to not tend to scatter. Again, it is much easier on your ears.

The form 4 process with the ATF of getting a suppressor is a pain. Paying $200 for the tax stamp and then waiting 6-9 months for approval is frustrating. However, just order one and forget about it. It will be a happy day when you get the phone call to come pick it up.

I have one on the way and might use it for big game hunting but mainly for shooting on the range or with my AR. What does really interest me is taking a suppressor down to Texas for unloading mags on pigs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back