PEAX Equipment

Suppressor on Hunting Rifle

I am also interested in a suppressor. I think the hearing protection is a reason enough. I laugh at everyone saying its over compensation for lack of skill, honestly argument could be had rifle hunting is compensating for lack of skill in archery. Anyway i was looking at getting a .30 cal my understanding could use it on 17hmr to 300win mag. I would primarily use it for my predator guns, im a big game archery man. But may use it when the kids get hunts on my larger rifles. Has anyone here used a .30 cal on other calibers and whats your opinion getting a .30 cal or .22 cal?

Suppressors are fantastic and once you start using one, it’s unlikely that you’ll ever want to shoot without it. I’d get a .30 cal can, the lightest direct-thread model possible, and I would not use it with rimfire ammo. It’s just too dirty - no need to gum up a high quality can as .22 suppressors are relatively cheap.

Suppressors are fantastic and once you start using one, it’s unlikely that you’ll ever want to shoot without it. I’d get a .30 cal can, the lightest direct-thread model possible, and I would not use it with rimfire ammo. It’s just too dirty - no need to gum up a high quality can as .22 suppressors are relatively cheap.
I was looking at the yhm resonator k. I dont plan on running through rimfire, i plan on getting a rimfire down the line though. I own more centerfire than anything.

I look at it is like having a muffler on your car, why wouldn't you have one?

Well... most mufflers don’t cost 2-3x the price of the car. If I could get a suppressor for my rifle for $200-300 I would have one no question. Getting one has been on my list for a while... but the cost, at the end of the day I’d rather spend the money on an AK trip🤷‍♂️

I was looking at the yhm resonator k. I dont plan on running through rimfire, i plan on getting a rimfire down the line though. I own more centerfire than anything.

I’ve had some experience with bolt guns and QD cans and it’s not all good, hence my recommendation for direct-thread. The Resonator, which I have no experience with, looks to be lightweight, but I’d avoid the QD. Repeatability is key and I’ve not found that to be consistent with QD cans.

For the money, I’d say the SilencerCo Harvester 30 is hard to beat. I have one and it’s been very consistent with no negative effects on accuracy. If I were to buy another right now, it would be another Harvester or a Q model. TBAC reportedly makes great stuff, but I have no experience with them.

I am also interested in a suppressor. I think the hearing protection is a reason enough. I laugh at everyone saying its over compensation for lack of skill, honestly argument could be had rifle hunting is compensating for lack of skill in archery. Anyway i was looking at getting a .30 cal my understanding could use it on 17hmr to 300win mag. I would primarily use it for my predator guns, im a big game archery man. But may use it when the kids get hunts on my larger rifles. Has anyone here used a .30 cal on other calibers and whats your opinion getting a .30 cal or .22 cal?

I am waiting on one right now that I plan to shoot .22 through.308 with

I'm a fan of suppressors. I have a Griffin that I use on a 223 and a 338 Lapua, I like the SilencerCo Harvester as well. However, my favorites are from Thunder Beast, either the Ultra 7 or Ultra 5 in 30 caliber so I can use it on my 300 RUM down through my 223. For rimfire suppressors, I like the SilencerCo Sparrow and use it on 17HMR and 22LR.

I'm a fan of suppressors. I have a Griffin that I use on a 223 and a 338 Lapua, I like the SilencerCo Harvester as well. However, my favorites are from Thunder Beast, either the Ultra 7 or Ultra 5 in 30 caliber so I can use it on my 300 RUM down through my 223. For rimfire suppressors, I like the SilencerCo Sparrow and use it on 17HMR and 22LR.

How do the Ultras compare to the Harvester on a .30 cal type non-magnum? Accurate, repeatable, same or less noise? I’m guessing the Ultra 5 is not super quiet?

How do the Ultras compare to the Harvester on a .30 cal type non-magnum? Accurate, repeatable, same or less noise? I’m guessing the Ultra 5 is not super quiet?
I like all of them and I don't notice a difference between these as far as accuracy and repeatability. I use the Ultra 7 the most and feel it's a little quieter than the Harvester, I think the ports on the end of the Harvester make it a little louder. The Ultra 5 is my newest suppressor and I don't have a lot of experience yet with it, it is louder but not bad. I got the Ultra 5 to use on hunting rifles, due to its length and weight. I use my Ultra 7 on my competition rifle, PRS shooting. My son uses the Harvester both for hunting and competition. These suppressors have seen use on 30, 7, 6.5 and 223 calibers.

I like all of them and I don't notice a difference between these as far as accuracy and repeatability. I use the Ultra 7 the most and feel it's a little quieter than the Harvester, I think the ports on the end of the Harvester make it a little louder. The Ultra 5 is my newest suppressor and I don't have a lot of experience yet with it, it is louder but not bad. I got the Ultra 5 to use on hunting rifles, due to its length and weight. I use my Ultra 7 on my competition rifle, PRS shooting. My son uses the Harvester both for hunting and competition. These suppressors have seen use on 30, 7, 6.5 and 223 calibers.

Good to know, thanks!

I will look into those. I was going to do a .30 cal because its only a matter of time before i get the new gun itch again. I recently got a 17 hornet as my fur gun. Just seems to be the smart thing to do as its more versatile.

I have a Tikka in 30-06 and I’m just starting the process of determining the possibility of suppressing it for recoil and noise reasons. It’s something that I’m interested in and as a side benefit I’m hoping my wife will be more willing to shoot if I get it done. If it’s not feasible I’ll probably just get another rifle shooting a lighter deer cartridge for her/kids.

I've used my suppressed .308 a few times this year deer hunting. The first thing I figured out is that you cannot zero the rifle with the suppressor attached, detach, reattach it and expect to have the same point of impact. Once you zero it with the suppressor on, leave it on. The whole quick attach feature isn't worth a damn. If you take it off and then put it back on, you're going to have to re-zero it. The noise reduction is significant with the .308 and the recoil reduction is noticeable as well but a 308 doesn't kick that much to begin with. I've shot a couple deer with it and you can hear the bullet impact the deer. I've got a DD Wave mounted on a Browning X-Bolt and it does make the rifle a good bit longer, to the extent that it is unwieldy in a tree stand. I just use it when hunting from a ground blind.

I've used my suppressed .308 a few times this year deer hunting. The first thing I figured out is that you cannot zero the rifle with the suppressor attached, detach, reattach it and expect to have the same point of impact. Once you zero it with the suppressor on, leave it on. The whole quick attach feature isn't worth a damn.

Wouldnt have that issue with a direct thread model or a threaded quick attach system like Thunderbeast has

Wouldnt have that issue with a direct thread model or a threaded quick attach system like Thunderbeast has
If I get another one in the future I am definitely going with the direct thread. This Daniel Defense suppressor with a quick attach muzzle break shifts a good amount if you detach and reattach. I've just left it on and its been fine but I wouldn't buy it again if I had it to do over.

If I get another one in the future I am definitely going with the direct thread. This Daniel Defense suppressor with a quick attach muzzle break shifts a good amount if you detach and reattach. I've just left it on and its been fine but I wouldn't buy it again if I had it to do over.

I think the Harvester 30 is hard to beat for this reason. It’s repeatable and fairly priced. Like you, I started out with QD models until I figured out the repeatability issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back