Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Suppressor on Hunting Rifle

Wilderness_56587

Wondering if putting a suppressor on a hunting rifle is worth the cost? I have a Howa 1500 7mm-08 I was considering it on. I use ear muffs for target practice and shoot at animals maybe 8 times a year hunting max that I won't have ear plugs in for.

Ever missed? I bet it gets you a follow up shot. I don’t own a suppressor, and am not terribly interested in one, but if it is something that interests you, I have to assume it would offer some advantages.

As far as hearing is concerned, I don’t mind muffs during practice and for hunting, one or two shots has never bothered me. I need a suppressed shotgun, cause I can really burn some ammo dove hunting.

I guess it depends where you hunt. Personally I don't understand them for hunting. Bench, and recreational shooting sure. In real life hunting situations out west, I am talking ones where you actually hunt which requires 4-5 miles a day up and down canyons and through the trees, the last thing you want is any more weight or length to a barrel. Is it worth it when there is higher than not possibility you wont even shoot? If you do its usually only once, maybe twice. Game doesn't get scared when they hear one gun shot. Most time they don't even react much.

Just my two cents and i know some will disagree. But elk hunt in the mountains out west and you'll count every ounce.

Wondering if putting a suppressor on a hunting rifle is worth the cost? I have a Howa 1500 7mm-08 I was considering it on. I use ear muffs for target practice and shoot at animals maybe 8 times a year hunting max that I won't have ear plugs in for.

For me, it has been worth it. My wife and son have warmed up to hunting much faster than they would have without one. Silencers have some downsides, like additional length, weight and much faster heat build-up with a different POI that you hope doesn't change. With a good, lightweight, direct thread model, the POI change should remain consistent. I'd look at the SilencerCo Harvester (what I have), Thunder Beast and Q models.

I don't know how light the barrel profile is on a 1500, but the heat build-up with a silencer and resulting change in POI can be frustrating with light builds - even carbon-wrapped. I strongly recommend picking up a MagnetoSpeed Rifle Kuhl fan to bring the barrel temp down as soon as possible.

And unless you're shooting alone at the range or wherever, it doesn't make much difference if your neighbor is cranking off rounds from his .384 ThorHammer with its MegaWatt Muzzle Brake attached. Not to mention that the supersonic crack is not changed and will still damage your hearing from prolonged exposure. When hunting, it is a very pleasant shooting experience. I like them.

Reactions: FLS
It's really a matter of personal preference, unfortunately they're expensive and slow process to actually have your suppressor in hand. I love using suppressors and use one on most of my rifles, hunting rifles included. I do like the SilencerCo Harvester and really like my ThunderBeast Ultra 7, someday I hope I get my Ultra 5 (it's been in the process a long time already).

Have been using a pair of UL7 suppressors for a few years now. Can't tell you how game reacts to being shot at and missed so far. Will post that if it ever happens again. Accuracy if anything improved slightly. All our suppressed hunting rigs are 18-19" barrels with a 6" ultralight suppressor on them. So not long, not bulky, not heavy, just quiet. Shot at the range today with no plugs or muffs. Very comfortable.

They aren't cheap, but to me they are worth it.

The hearing loss I developed from hunting this year says otherwise about not being harmed by a couple shots. Took a shot out of a box stand with my 338 with a brake and now my hearing is not doing so hot in my left ear... Not sure if it was the cause or not but either way I'll have plugs with from now on... Crappy thing is, once it's gone it's gone. Can't just get your hearing back...

I shot a braked 340 Roy once in a hurry without protection. It really cost me and I sold off all rigs with brakes when I got home. The suppressors provide some recoil reduction as well, so I'd buy a 338 Ultra from TB and chop that 338 down to around 20" or so. The 18" 06 killed that bull at 380 yards with a 155 scenar at 2775 fps so my magnum days are behind me.

Every single gunshot does hearing damage...and hearing doesn’t heal or get better.
I use small ear buds by walkers game ears. I have hearing damage from the usmc...they help me hear better and protect me from the noise when I shoot.
I wear the ear buds during the entire hunt and pack in/out. Been using them for about 3 years.

I have one, I'm not a fan, unbalances a rifle in my opinion, but they do protect your hearing somewhat.

For those of you who are fans, in case you didn't know, when storing your rifle ALWAYS remove the suppressor after use, if you don't it will ruin the crown of your rifle.

Cheers

Richard

The hearing loss I developed from hunting this year says otherwise about not being harmed by a couple shots. Took a shot out of a box stand with my 338 with a brake and now my hearing is not doing so hot in my left ear... Not sure if it was the cause or not but either way I'll have plugs with from now on... Crappy thing is, once it's gone it's gone. Can't just get your hearing back...

Actually, it’s not unheard of for hearing to return mostly, if not fully. A friend in high school blew out an ear drum(or whatever it is when blood starts running out your ear and you can’t hear anything) with a car stereo. Sixteen 10” subwoofers may have been excessive. As I understand it, it’s a bit of a dice roll. Good luck.

I’ve been shooting suppressed for about 5 years and have several of them now. If I can’t put a suppressor on my rifle then I don’t want it(minus my collectors of course). It’s fantastic for recoil mitigation, follow up shots are a breeze and it’s just so much more pleasant to shoot. I’m awful about wearing hearing protection and my hearing has suffered somewhat, I can’t afford to lose any more of my hearing. Get one and go coyote hunt, the first time you get a double or a triple in one sit by yourself you’ll be sold.

I have one, I'm not a fan, unbalances a rifle in my opinion, but they do protect your hearing somewhat.

For those of you who are fans, in case you didn't know, when storing your rifle ALWAYS remove the suppressor after use, if you don't it will ruin the crown of your rifle.

Cheers

Richard

That’s why you get a quick connect where you instal a muzzle brake and have one suppressor that works on multiple guns. That way there’s no crown damage.

Cheers

Richard

Can you elaborate for me on how this can ruin the crown of your rifle?

Can you elaborate for me on how this can ruin the crown of your rifle?
If the suppressor ruins the crown....every muzzle brake would as well....
Suppressors do trap more powder fouling. You will need to clean the crown and threads once in a while.

Actually, it’s not unheard of for hearing to return mostly, if not fully. A friend in high school blew out an ear drum(or whatever it is when blood starts running out your ear and you can’t hear anything) with a car stereo. Sixteen 10” subwoofers may have been excessive. As I understand it, it’s a bit of a dice roll. Good luck.

It depends on the type of hearing loss. I think your friend had a conductive hearing loss, but may have done some damage to his cochlea hairs as well. Without an audiometric test before and after, it is tough to say which is which.

Conductive Hearing Loss

This is damage to your outer ear, ear drum or ear bones. It is normally curable to the point that it will restore hearing and sometimes will require surgery to fix.

Sensorineural Hearing Loss

This is a loss of hearing in the Cochlea, which looks like a snail shell that is filled with internal hairs to conduct sound to the auditory nerve and then to the brain.

Generally, sensorineural hearing loss cannot be treated. There are some advancements in cochlear implants, but the technology is currently not as adequate as the biological cochlea in humans.

Temporary Threshold Shift - It is when you are driving home and you have the radio on, then the next morning you get into your car and radio is too way loud. What happens is the Cochlea hairs that coduct sound to your nerves to your brain basically lay down. This does prevent some damage. They can be damaged and the hearing loss can be imminent in the future as the hairs age and/or die.

Hearing Loss - Is when your hearing changes, the cochlea hairs that conduct sound break or die generally from noise or age (presbycusis), but can be from chemical exposure to ototoxins. After the hairs break or die you lose the ability to distinguish sounds especially at the higher pitches. You may be able to hear your friends alright, but your grandchildren may be difficult to understand what they are saying. It will sound like mumbled jargon. It is not something that you want to go through.

I find myself thinking about getting one more and more as my tinnitus gets worse. Any suppressor ready rifles offered with a wood stock?

Every single gunshot does hearing damage...and hearing doesn’t heal or get better.
I use small ear buds by walkers game ears. I have hearing damage from the usmc...they help me hear better and protect me from the noise when I shoot.
I wear the ear buds during the entire hunt and pack in/out. Been using them for about 3 years.
Do you go through your doctor or are these OTC? I have my headset that amplifies ambient and muffles high decibel noise however would not wear in the field. I take it these are small units.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back