Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Supartz/Synvisc Knee Injections

Lucky_Lep

Anyone ever get the Supartz or Synvisc injections for your knees?

Good/Bad?

Do's/Don'ts

I've heard about the plasma injections, but I am pretty much bone on bone, and don't think that is an option (from what I've read - but who can really believe what they read anymore).

Hope all is well!

Didn't work for me, but know of others it worked for. Bone on bone may be to late

Received Synvisc about this time last year. Was in pretty severe pain at the time. It did really well for me for a year, but the pain is starting to return to some extent, one knee is better than the other. Not sure if the cost of the injection is worth it for the temporary - albeit better than cortisone - relief. The knee that is hurting again is bone on bone and they did say that the worse your knees are the less effective it will be, with bone on bone there is not necessarily enough room for the solution to take up residence in the knee.

Right after the injection it did hurt a bit because everything was so tight and swollen feeling. But I was able to hunt Wyoming in the fall and be relatively pain free.

Synvisc is only supposed to last 6months, reinjection is a necessity. I wouldn't be able to hike the mountains without it, and I'm about 12 years too young for a knee replacement.

If the doc is saying to young, find a new doc. I asked about this and was told my knee would outlive me

“Too young” for joint replacement is generally old school thinking. Old school hip replacement were expected to last 12-15 years max, with a one time replacement option. This is why you are expected to suffer pain and range of motion restrictions while you were waiting to get to the “right age” for first replacement procedures.

Anyone ever get the Supartz or Synvisc injections for your knees?

Good/Bad?

Do's/Don'ts

I've heard about the plasma injections, but I am pretty much bone on bone, and don't think that is an option (from what I've read - but who can really believe what they read anymore).

Hope all is well!
Can help a little, after 8 knee surgeries (5 right and 3 left) I tried some synvisc and it seemed to give me some temporary relief. I have had a knee replacement and more surgery on joints than I care to recount, the replacement parts today are terrific so why not just get a new one. I was back on horses 30 days after knee replacement (of course with the Doc' s advice "just don't fall off"). i am now 5 months out and about 95 % just started my pre hunt work out which includes 3 hikes a week with 1,000 vertical/4 miles working toward doing that in less than 30 minutes. I have had both shoulders done, knee, hip replaced and I wish I had all sooner than I did. Keep thinking good rehab and good medical technology will have you back pretty fast.

Surgeons are damn good at replacing hips and knees these days.
This is my next step., but hoping to get a few more miles out of the original equipment. Replacements don't last forever either, and I don't want to have to do it twice. My mom is on her second replacement on one of the knees, and it is not any easier in your 80s.

Took me 3 docs to find one that would stand up to Blue Shield about that “too young” shit...I’ll be 62 next month and had two prior knee surgeries but insurance/docs were giving the too young mantra still. Now 7 weeks post replacement! But you’re right, they don’t want you too outlive the knee and pay for it twice, would rather have you bite your lip and deal with it. Some of them won’t cover injections either esp. stem cell

Synvisc did not extend the inevitable for right knee arthroplasty about 8 years ago. I’m mulling trying it for my left knee currently.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back