Sunday funday

Ben Lamb

An old co-worker and I went out Sunday to chase some sharpies. I didn't take any photos. I didn't shoot a thing.

it was a tremendous day though.

For the last three years, I've been a poor trainer to a magnificent dog. She has incredible drive, instincts and enthusiasm. But I've had a lot of problems in the last year, since we brought the new puppy home. Greta was, until annie arrived, the only dog on the bed. The old dog passed in January or February, and my wife lasted two weeks before she found a little chocolate lab. When that pup came home, Greta was displaced on the bed, and we moved her food. Bad ideas. That caused a lot of behavior issues we are still working through, with the help of @406LIFE and others.

Sunday, there was the usual grab ass with the Draath that we were hunting with (13 year old female w/no real like of other dogs) but they were fine, and when we started hunting, no issues at all.

For the first time though, Greta hunted like a real dog. She put it all together. She worked cover hard, listened to commands, followed hand signals & just nailed it in everyway. She flushed a sharpie down deep in a coulee, and it flew just as predicted. my partner got a shot off, but missed. I just watched. That dog went after that bird until she was at the border w/private, and then I called her off.

Somedays, it's just watching a dog that you've been working with finally put it together that makes the day. Hopefully this weekend we'll have photos.

Last edited:
An old co-worker and I went out Sunday to chase some sharpies. I didn't take any photos. I didn't shoot a thing.

For the last three years, I've been a poor trainer to a magnificent dog. She has incredible drive, instincts and enthusiasm. But I've had a lot of problems in the last year, since we brought the new puppy home. Greta was, until annie arrived, the only dog on the bed. The old dog passed in January or February, and my wife lasted two weeks before she found a little chocolate lab. When that pup came home, Greta was displaced on the bed, and we moved her food. Bad ideas. That caused a lot of behavior issues we are still working through, with the help of @406LIFE and others.

Sunday, there was the usual grab ass with the Draath that we were hunting with (13 year old female w/no real like of other dogs) but they were fine, and when we started hunting, no issues at all.

For the first time though, Greta hunted like a real dog. She put it all together. She worked cover hard, listened to commands, followed hand signals & just nailed it in everyway. She flushed a sharpie down deep in a coulee, and it flew just as predicted. my partner got a shot off, but missed. I just watched. That dog went after that bird until she was at the border w/private, and then I called her off.

Somedays, it's just watching a dog that you've been working with finally put it together that makes the day. Hopefully this weekend we'll have photos.
That's some dam'd fine writing Ben...

I was/am a terrible trainer for my GSP. But at 11 she finally put together a great hunt on some huns last fall, perfect distance, hard solid points that held, good retrieves. It brought me to tears.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back