Suggestions for a good Elk cartridge?

Mtmuley,

Its a great choice. Personally, I'm partial to the 340 Weatherby. There are no flies on the .300 RUM. GJ

Listen to what Randy says. He's right, the best caliber is the one you can shoot confidently in all situations. Everyone has a different opinion on caliber and their experience informs that opinion.

Firstly, 30-06 180 Grain Nosler Partition, nuff said.

I do sometimes use a rangefinder, coupled with my cheat sheet on the scope cover, good to go.

Cheers

Richard

I shoot a 308 win and my hubby shoots a 300wsm he is jealous of the short action lighter weight rifle and is thinking of buying a 308. Both get the job done:)

I have an awesome, accurate browning .338. I was all set to take it elk hunting last year.....but ended up taking my .308 instead because of the weight factor. Ended up dropping an elk at 175 that was dead before he hit the ground. The .308 I have weights literally half of what my .338 does. Your hunting style is another thing to consider when you are factoring in accuracy. Lugging around a big, heavy, magnum rifle all day may not be the best in the end.

I've shot elk with .308, .30-06, 7mm RM, .300 WM, each with varying bullet weights and types. So long as shot placement was good, the elk died the same. People make way too big of deal about cartridge. What kills the elk is placing an object inside the elk that shouldn't be there! If the bullet reaches the vitals with energy to make a mess, then the elk will die. At ethical distances, I see no need to spend money on magnums and the accompanying shoulder repair later in life (exaggeration).

To answer your question, take the '06 you already have. If you want another rifle, buy a 7mm-08, .308, .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .300 WM, 28 Nosler, .300 RUM, .454 shoulder bruiser, etc. The elk won't know the difference.

Welcome to elk hunting. It's about the best thing....well....ever!

Just saying

Attachments

• sniper-joe-how-much-you-wanna-make-a-bet-i-can-shoot-my-7mm-mag-over-those-mountains.jpg
    sniper-joe-how-much-you-wanna-make-a-bet-i-can-shoot-my-7mm-mag-over-those-mountains.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 388
OK, my order of bullet caliber selection for Rocky Mountain Elk, based on what I got are;
300 WinMag 180 gr
35 Whelen 225 gr :)
270 WSM 140 gr

Yep the old...yawn boring 30-06 is pretty tough to beat. I have one in my gun safe and if I was told I had to get rid of all my guns but one the 06 would stay, it can handle anything North America has to offer and most of the rest of the world. Now if I were getting another gun and I will at some point, it will be in .280 AI in a Kimber Montana...good elk medicine!

I shoot a 300 win mag with copper bullets in 180 grain and the elk will drop on the spot>

Gman

I'm a 7mm, or 338 win mag guy. But I also think there are many calibers that would be perfect. So many factors, but I feel 7mm and 338 wm will cover most. I'd like to try 45 70

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back