Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Success on a Roe Buck

devon deer

We are in the middle of the Roe Buck rut at the moment, at this time of year they can come to a call, I spotted this one from around a mile away, did a stalk, and found him still in the same field, but on his own.
Got my call out and started calling, absolutely no reaction, in fact he started to walk away, something I didn’t want as he was already 175 yards away and obscured by long grass, I couldn’t get any closer as he would have heard/seen me climbing over a rusty gate.
So up on the sticks and the .243 did it’s job.
Same farm @Dave N and @brymoore shot a roe deer.

I think I know he was on his own, 2 days earlier I had seen a buck following a doe in the next field, he was a really big buck, (this one is quite big) and I can only assume he lost out in a punch up.

Still, a good representative head.

Cheers

Richard

IMG_20200731_191617637.jpg

I don’t know anything about these deer, but it sounds like a fun hunt. This looks like a nice one with the forks much more pronounced than other ones I’ve seen on here. Congrats on another good one and thanks for sharing!

Awesome deer!

I really regret not going on a roe buck hunt when I was deployed in Europe. I thought it was too expensive at the time and preferred drinking that money instead...

Awesome deer!

I really regret not going on a roe buck hunt when I was deployed in Europe. I thought it was too expensive at the time and preferred drinking that money instead...
Shame you didn't know me then!
@leec270 he can confirm some outfitters charge up to $1200 for a trophy Roe Buck
Even when I was guiding full time the absolute maximum I charged was $500, I used to get people queuing up!
These days I'm very selective who I take out, most of my clients are now good friends.

Cheers

Richard

That buck is a dandy indeed. Have you taken any bucks off the "Farm Cat's" property yet this year? :LOL:

As a bit of a learning tool. How old do you think this buck is? The coat on a roe buck looks very soft?

Being totally serious now, have you ever seen or heard of any others with that extra little button like my buck had?

Sucking up my courage and heading up to our Alaska cabin next week to hunker down there and clean up what grew during the year. Have last years brush and tree cuttings to clean up and burn if the fire danger level allows. May even try to wet a line for some salmon running upriver. No, no "may" to it. I'm doing some fishing after the work is done and try to enjoy myself before heading home and returning to work. Not as exciting as chasing across the field after a Roe buck, but I think I'll manage! ;)

Being totally serious now, have you ever seen or heard of any others with that extra little button like my buck had?

Sucking up my courage and heading up to our Alaska cabin next week to hunker down there and clean up what grew during the year. Have last years brush and tree cuttings to clean up and burn if the fire danger level allows. May even try to wet a line for some salmon running upriver. No, no "may" to it. I'm doing some fishing after the work is done and try to enjoy myself before heading home and returning to work. Not as exciting as chasing across the field after a Roe buck, but I think I'll manage! ;)
No mate, I have never seen one before, you were really lucky.

Have a great time in Alaska and good luck with the fishing, I will get there hopefully one day.

Cheers

Richard

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back