Sub-MOA .300 Win mag rifle recommendations?

I would look at the savage series, like the weather warrior. It has been my experience that out of the box accuracy and function has been highest with this company the past few years.

I have a 300 WSM in a Weatherby Vanguard (howa action) that shoots sub MOA. You can get a knew rifle for under $700. I have had great luck with the Howa action rifles.

The new Remington Long Range is a lot of rifle for the money. A bit heavy if you are going to hunt it hard. mtmuley

Tika T3

I'll add my vote for the Tika T3. I have one in .300 WSM. I've only shot handloads in it but every load I've tried shoots sub-moa. That being said, I have some cautionary notes about the .300 WSM. I bought mine after reading all the magazine articles touting accuracy and the power of a .300 Win Mag with the recoil of a .30-06. I've found the first 2 claims to be true but the third is a filthy lie. Mine kicks like a mule. I'm sure that one reason is that it is light weight. But if you get an even lighter one, you're going to feel it even more. I would invest in the best recoil pad you can find.
Also, if you handload, there are complications to be aware of. My powder funnel wouldn't fit over the brass. The cases wouldn't fit in my loading block. And you'll need a body sizing die (not a full-length sizing die) because the cases stretch at the shoulder. Essentially, the pressure combined with the steep angle of the shoulder causes the shoulder angle to "straighten out". After only 2 or 3 firings, the brass won't chamber properly. But it does shoot well and I've had one-shot kills on elk each of the last two years using 180 grain Sierra bullets.

I'll add my vote for the Tika T3. I have one in .300 WSM. I've only shot handloads in it but every load I've tried shoots sub-moa. That being said, I have some cautionary notes about the .300 WSM. I bought mine after reading all the magazine articles touting accuracy and the power of a .300 Win Mag with the recoil of a .30-06. I've found the first 2 claims to be true but the third is a filthy lie. Mine kicks like a mule. I'm sure that one reason is that it is light weight. But if you get an even lighter one, you're going to feel it even more. I would invest in the best recoil pad you can find.

I have a strong suspicion that the main issue with recoil and the Tikkas is the factory stock build and geometry. I hated shooting my 7mm Rem with the factory stock (even tried changing the recoil pad to a sims), but I tried putting a B&C Medalist stock on it, and it became a dream to shoot and carry. Might be worth a shot.

300 mag

Get a used 300. Most are lightly used, maybe dropped once or twice and then put on the rack after the user goes back to a 30-06.
I have found that the 300 kills on both ends. If you really must have a 300 perhaps
a short magnum will do the trick. I have personally not used one.

I have found that the 300 kills on both ends. If you really must have a 300 perhaps
a short magnum will do the trick. I have personally not used one.

If I can't get my 300 to shoot at MOA, then I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it and going with a 300 WSM. It's a great cartridge.

I choose my 300 WSM simply because I wanted a 300 Magnum caliber, but I prefer short actions. I was looking at 338 Federal's, 300 WSM, and 325 WSM. It came down to the 300 WSM since finding 338 or even the 325 ammo was a stretch and much more on the pocketbook!

Mine is a Browning ABolt and she shoots factory loads MOA if I do my part. Recoil is not bad, not much more then my last 308. Either way we can't tell you what rifle fits you, try em all out and then decide.

I don't think I'll ever buy another stock rifle again, unless it is an AR. I got into putting savages together a couple years ago, and have had insanely good luck with them. Both i have done are closer to .5 MOA rifles and for the same or less cost of a stock rifle. Plus I know my rifles inside and out. But, I would t ecpect much out of a stock rifle unless I was reloading for it. A stock rifle can have a lot of accuracy added with just glass bedding and floating the barrel. Both very easy to do, and inexpensive to do. That being said, I would suggest looking at a savage Stevens and adding a trigger to and stock to it. You have a savage lrh for half the cost.

There is also a guy on rokslide from Washington with a Savage 111 300wm lrh for $650 or so!

I don't think I'll ever buy another stock rifle again, unless it is an AR. I got into putting savages together a couple years ago, and have had insanely good luck with them. Both i have done are closer to .5 MOA rifles and for the same or less cost of a stock rifle. Plus I know my rifles inside and out. But, I would t ecpect much out of a stock rifle unless I was reloading for it. A stock rifle can have a lot of accuracy added with just glass bedding and floating the barrel. Both very easy to do, and inexpensive to do. That being said, I would suggest looking at a savage Stevens and adding a trigger to and stock to it. You have a savage lrh for half the cost.

A friend of mine does the same thing. He loves Savages for the accuracy and ease of re-barreling. He put a Criterion barrel on my 7 mag and it is unbelievably accurate. Also, he likes them because he can put any bolt face on a Savage bolt.

If I can't get my 300 to shoot at MOA, then I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it and going with a 300 WSM. It's a great cartridge.

Over the years I've accumulated two of each cartridge platforms...all moa..even the Kimber long 300. That said, I'll give a slight edge to the short version.. To add, they were moa with factory but improved with load development.

Over the years I've accumulated two of each cartridge platforms...all moa..even the Kimber long 300. That said, I'll give a slight edge to the short version.. To add, they were moa with factory but improved with load development.

It shot about .75 for one group last night with 180's & your load data. Then it went all catty-whompus again and wasn't consistent, opening up to about 2 inches at 100 yards with 1& 3 touching, and 2 going wild.

The 06 dumped all 5 165 grain pills into about .5.

I'm sticking with the 06.

Back