Sub-MOA .300 Win mag rifle recommendations?

Paul in Idaho

I am thinking seriously of buying a .300 Winchester Magnum in the next year or two. Before posting this, I tried searching the forums for 'sub moa' but both words are too short so it rejected it.

Anyway, I have heard there are manufacturers that guarantee sub-MOA performance out of the box. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on which of these rifles would be worth looking at. My budget is in the $700 range. If there's one that stands above the crowd for more, I could save longer and pay more.

Thanks.
Paul

I have a Tikka T3 in .300 Win Mag. It shoots MOA if I do my part. I've only shot handloads in it (180 gr Partitions).

I tend to agree on MOA guarantees, in that I don't trust them.

I think a Tikka T3 is probably a good place to start, I have had really good luck with mine (shoots factory 7mm Rem Mag well under an inch). At some point you can upgrade the stock on it to the B&C to improve handling and recoil management.

Another option might be a Howa 1500 barreled action and then bolt it into a B&C Medalist stock (weatherby vanguard should fit).

Either one should give you more than enough accuracy.

Production rifles with a Sub-MOA guarantee are fairly few. Tikka, Sako, Weatherby Sub-MOA Vanguards are the 3 that pop to mind that can be in the sub $1000 price range. The Tikka T-3's are great rifles, The Sako A-7 would be close to (or in) the budget, and the WBY is somewhat of an option.

To be honest though... Most modern manufacture rifles are able to put 3 rounds into less than 1" at 100yds, with some tinkering on ammo. Most Good Factory Ammo is capable of shooting Sub MOA in the right rifle. It's just about matching the two up to find what the rifle likes. Both my hunting rifles are Box stock factory rifles. Both Shoot Well under 1 MOA, one with factory ammo, the other with Handloads.

Is there a particular reason that you are wanting a rifle with a guarantee? Or, other than wanting a .300WM, what are you looking for this rifle to do/what are your expectations of the rifle?

I got rid of my rifles that only shot 1 moa. Sold the Kimber and rebuilt the Rem. The only factory gun I'd buy now knowing it'll shoot better than 1" is a Savage LRH from Cabelas.

Get a used 300. Most are lightly used, maybe dropped once or twice and then put on the rack after the user goes back to a 30-06.

:)

Agree on Ruger, but expect to have to do some work on it. Tikka is solid, but push feed, same as Remington.

Used rifles - especially custom built ones, go for less than what they're worth. I've got a 338 WM in a 1917 WIncherster P14 that shoots under MOA and it was $450.

Anybody that guarantees MOA, is using a specific load in that rifle. That is the only way that it can be done. I have never owned a 300, but I have never read a bad word about their accuracy. I have a Remington SPS 7 mag that is half-minute with my loads. That is what has to happen with any rifle. You need to fit the load to it.

Unless you are shooting long range paper, an MOA rifle should be more than good for hunting. Most of the factory rifles will shoot 1-1 1/2 inches with about any decent factory ammo (excluding the exotic crap like Bergers). It just depends on what you want to shoot.

Get a used 300. Most are lightly used, maybe dropped once or twice and then put on the rack after the user goes back to a 30-06.

:)

Agree on Ruger, but expect to have to do some work on it. Tikka is solid, but push feed, same as Remington.

Used rifles - especially custom built ones, go for less than what they're worth. I've got a 338 WM in a 1917 WIncherster P14 that shoots under MOA and it was $450.

I like this ^

It's funny when people realize that the ~5% increase in velocity for the same exact slug is not worth the extra money, recoil, noise, and weight.

I won't make any guarantees on MOA with a Tikka T3 in .308, but for the money it is all I had hoped for and more! I would highly recommend the rifle to anyone that plans on carrying their rifle a long ways as it is very light compared to my other rifles.

Scott

I'd search the used market as well. Not many custom 300WMs out there that I see, but you could get lucky. You'd probably have a better chance of finding a something SUB MOA off the shelf. My Remington 700 in 7mm mag from 1971 is still the most accurate gun I own.

$700 is a bit of a funky price point, but between the used market or a new Tikka I think you could find something.

Over on rokslide there is a montana rifle co. 300wsm for $900.

Back